Well last blog was 2 years ago, where shall I start?
One season at a time.
In late February, I dug out the taro for what looked like a promising result… or not. Well, I mean that plant was almost bigger than me. I since then dug out more and gave it a final taste try to decide that it is definitely not a plant for us. As big and beautiful as it is, not one bite could pass my mouth. I’m done growing edible I won’t eat unless I can put them in a vase or to some other use, which I have yet to justify for taro. I’m grateful for trying though. I now know I am definitely not missing out.
In March, the pumpkin vine slowly but surely took over the garden but we got some good fruit out of it. Lucky for us, we absolutely love pumpkin. I relocated the small bed to the north side in a sheltered unused position. It started as the salad bar.
The 2 Rosella bushes gave us plenty to make jelly, cordial and tea with the dried flowers or calyxes.
In April, I started digging the front wicking bed to get rid of the sweet potatoes that although tasty invades the bed year after year. So… one thing led to another and well, the long of the short of it is, I won. Ah ah! Now the whole garden gets a makeover! Out went the (not-so) wicking bed. Out came the pumpkin forest. In came…. The new birdies beds. 3 round large one for the front and 4 smaller ones for the side. More about the latter later. A heck of a tidy and lawn transplant. The south pumpkin vines filled half a bed and various other garden waste went in to fill the seemingly endless void. It takes a lot of material and effort to fill in nearly 3m3!
Meanwhile the bananas started flowering nicely one after the other giving us 5 bunches, 3 of which still hanging up there ripening. The first bunch was promptly dehydrated and completely eaten within 2 weeks. The second bunch was partly eaten by some wild visitors and rescued in time to save a few. I am watching the rest more closely now.
June was a planting month. I started seriously planting the front birdies with onions, leeks, brassicas, peas and some winter greens. The South inground beds and verge with tons of new flowers. Things are growing slowly but surely.
A new vertical bed for the strawberries inspired by Susan.
The winner of Christmas in July contest successfully planted and harvested.
The south side garden is slowly coming together with most of the plastic wicking boxes being replaced with nice larger wooden ones built by my resident woodworker extraordinaire. I will leave that for our next garden visit in late August.