Well I just finished my major holiday project - built the garden shed. I was going to also build a rock pathway but as it took 3 days of torture AND I managed to put a drill bit through my thumb, I decided not to be too ambitious. The shed was the $169 job from Aldi's. If you bought one and haven't put it up yet, word to the wise: When they refer to the "short side" it means the side with all the holes drilled into it (short height wise, not length wise). The swearing involved when I figured this one out... it would make you blush. All garden tools, nets, fertilisers, sprayers etc have been relocated.
I don't have too much going on in the garden just now. I am ripping out all of my tomatoes in the back garden - between the mites and rootknot nematode, none are going well. I've got some mixed heirloom seeds that I am starting and will plant them in the front garden and hopefully have more success. I'm reluctant to buy tomato seedlings again as I think that's what started the mite saga. And I've had no nematodes on anything EXCEPT this bought tommy toe seedling. Marigolds are getting sown in this bed to try to improve the problem.
My sugar snap peas didn't germinate well, only about 1/3 of the seeds. Have replanted. Also, the lettuce and spinach that I planted into my wicking pots didn't germinate, nor did any of the flower seeds except the hollyhock. ALL my brassicas did. I DO have beetroots, eggplants and cucumbers :)
I've put a lot of my herbs into the front wicking bed. I've now got italian parsely, garlic chives, Dianne's perpetual capsicum, spring onions and coriander in the top one shown. The other one, I sowed beetroot and carrots. Notice the wire over the top? Well while my little black fence WAS successful in keeping the chickens out, my cat had decided that this bed was the perfect place to have a nap every day. I didn't think much would come up but if you look carefully, you can see a whole bunch of beetroot (right) and carrots (left)
In the front flower patch where the Arnolds blood orange is planted, some melon seeds obviously got dropped and germinated. They looked so healthy that I let them go to see what they could do. Yesterday I noticed a tennis ball sized melon which confirmed that it was Cream of Satschwan watermelon and my kids were probably the source of the seeds, spitting them out. If you look carefully, third brick from the left, you can just see it poking out from under pineapple spine :)
My bees are going from strength to strength. I could have easily harvested 2 full bars of honey but 1) don't want to be greedy and 2) not set up for processing more than 1 bar at a time so I might have to go back in 2 weeks and harvest another bar. They were all covering the front of the hive again so gave them 3 bars back in return to give them some more space. I need to source some more jars as between the honey, jams and chutneys, I run out.
Add a Comment