Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

HOUSING 101

Housing101 is a company set up to retrofit high quality steel transportable buildings into stylish small and tiny houses, granny flats, disabled friendly units, student, tourist, emergency and other types of affordable housing. Housing101 conversions provide innovative, economical and compliant housing.

Image may contain: text

C:UsersjakeDocumentsID8213A_TAMPARALODGE (JAKE2016).pdf

Views: 362

Replies to This Discussion

Cool! But aircon is a bit worrying.

Why?

*cough* run it in the day using solar.  No problemo. 

The amount of power it draws. You'd need a really big battery array to power aircon at night - and there are plenty of nights when aircon would be great. Sure, run on solar IF you can get enough panels on the roof and batteries and cash. Better if at all possible to position the house in such a way to make use of shade for summer and sun for winter. That way you get natural ventilation and free cooling.

Yeah it is, but if you keep the house cool in the day (no batteries required) then you should be okay at night.  

I wonder if The Wandoan is $48,950. Just a little verandah would do me. 

I want a little house......and a big! verandah :)

They are local (display house/s on the Sunshine Coast) and look pretty good to me.

I agree. 

We have a huge veranda facing south along the width of the house. We live out there.It makes the kitchen darker but it's an OK trade off. The house is on a north/south access and I appreciate the windows  on the eastern side as they catch the breezes from the north east and south east.

Air flow through a small shallow, rectangular house like ours is a  great coolant, but it still can still get hot. But after we installed ceiling fans the air is much more buoyantly cool. And roof installation helped somewhat.

(But I truly rooly loves me fans...)

We even use an industrial fan on the veranda during hot days -- even most days over Summer. Since we run the mosaics club there it sure cools the space. One cause is that the veranda is simply covered by corrugated iron which heats up as the sun rises in the sky and the hot air is trapped under the wide roof.I've shaded to the south to offset the impact of the late afternoon sun but what it primarily lacks is more moving air.

However with more growth outback there is a greater exchange of cool air thru a micro-climate effect.

Now that the garden has seriously grown -- generating much more shade -- the ambient temp has fallen.

The downside is that the more shade and cool I generate with plantings, the more space  I foster for mosquitoes to congregate. I planted originally very carefully with sandflies in mind but they've only been a problem once or twice.

The problem with the AC being included is : why?

It isn't a large space so the running cost would not be like a McMansion or a townhouse.

In Victoria it was easier to keep the house cooler in the day light as thermal mass and heavy drapes work in your favour. Here insulation needs to be selectively applied so that the house can cool at night. The problem is that any cool effect during the day is hard to hang onto.

That's why climate sensitive houses in the tropics and sub tropics are built light with thin walls-- such as the traditional Queenslander. Cross breezes rule the inside.

Unfortunately -- since we lived on a very busy Rode Rd in such a Queenslander (circa 1924)-- the more breeze you embrace, the more noise you'll get. We had to live at the back of the house away from the traffic and abandon the front.

Here, where we live now-- I'd love to turn one of the back windows into a double sliding door opening so that the air was less obstructed. But that changes almost everything in the kitchen.

Yes, my question about the aircon is Why? In such a small house and with some shade and care about placement, it should not be needed.

Insulation is tricky. We have it in the ceiling space, the walls are single brick. I've shaded the west and south-west walls with shadecloth outside. Helps a bit. Not allowing the heat to enter the house early in the day is the trick to it. We have lined curtains which keep out a lot of the heat. So close them over early in the day, shut the bathroom door because the skylight brings in a lot of heat, windows are open but the curtains keep a lot of the heat.

We thought aircon was a good idea several years ago. Having the doors shut was not something either of us liked. So the aircon is wasted along with the cash it took to get it installed. Refrigerated air would be nice but at cost to our wellbeing really so we make the best of what we have. Cold drinks and damp cold towels help too.

With a teeny tiny house, surely aircon is installed because it's thought that in Real Estate circles that is what people want. Like a pool. Or an extra hole in the head.

Our trade off re AC was a small pool shaped like a dixie cup: around 5,000 litres, just over a metre high (1200mm) and 2400 mm wide. A polypool. My partner uses it for exercise every day she can. It sure gets you thru the hottest days. It's even seriously shaded!

It was a good decision and a polypool is the second we've had. At the last house we had a bigger one for the kids growing up.

As for not allowing the heat to enter the house -- I drape that part of the window which is not open during the day and shade over problem glass areas. That seems very effective against the solar source of heat from the sun's rays.

There are small slit windows to the west and while I shaded those from the outside, I've since found it easier to simply drape them from the inside and keep their doors shut as they are bedrooms and only lived in at night. Both rooms have other windows.

Unfortunately --while I've grown creepers in the past there, the space at both sides of the house isn't very wide.

I'd do more fiddles but Helen has different ideas as her climatology is different from mine.

Dave do you have to fence the pool? We dont have aircon - with placement of house windows for air flow , e glass windows and hebel construction and clerestory windows for airflow and wall floor and ceiling insulation, light coloured paint and roofing, no western windows at all- actually the whole western wall is further insulated by walk in ward robes  -  even on the 45c days outside inside it only got to 29c - and fans for air movement - we are fortunate we are high and catch all the cooling south east sea breezes.. we did spend $80 at Bunnings and bought a water or even iced filled swamp cooler on wheels  cause we had visitors from Scotland a few weeks ago - where they are used to ins of snow !!! The one where you leave the window open and the air flows over iced water - seems to work well or at least the visitors appreciated it 

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service