Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Arriving at Gayle's place I was impressed by the way her verge garden has developed since I first saw it, a couple of years ago. It is now a thriving native garden, including, among other things, myoporums, midyimberries, and callistemons with a groundcover of dichondra in the walkway, and it is a cooling and relaxing introduction to the garden.

Our group - Christa, Ian, Dianne, Graham, Valerie, Muriel, Andy, Vivienne, Sid, Tris, Travis and Anne (and me) - were welcomed by Gayle and Ken and their son David, and after morning tea and a chat, Gayle took us around the garden.

Luffahs and a grapevine on the fence, a pomegranate hiding under the luffah vine, young fig trees in pots, and veges in small groups around the edge of the tank led into the lovely habitat area, where different native and exotic shrubs provided food and refuge for the local wildlife.

Healthy and fruitful citrus were thriving there.

Small gabions and piles of sticks were home for blue-tongues and other lizards, bird baths abounded (note to self - must incorporate more of these very simple, attractive and effective watering points at my place), and flowering shrubs tempted the pollinators.

Gayle has made good use of the narrow area near the western fence, with pigeon peas and Madagascar vine as well as other veges. Wattle trees shade some of the  northern side of the house, with a native bee hive and shade loving plants sheltered there. A pot of Kangaroo grass occasioned some comments about its use by Australian Aborigines for bread making for the past 40,000 years.

The garden was a joy to visit, with lots of ideas for habitat creation to take away. Thank you, Gayle and Ken, for hosting us once again. 

Views: 152

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you very much Barbara for your informative report. A big thank you to Gayle & Ken for their continued support of BLF, we all love to visit your garden, it changes a little every year and I was so pleased to see that my little Native Bees are still very happy living at Saturn Crescent. Great idea leaving the Grevillea Skeleton there for the birds to rest on & you have given me new ideas for water receptacles in the garden for the birds, bees, butterflies and many other visitors to the garden. I must ask a question Gayle that I forgot to ask when we were there - is there a particular reason you have the stones in the pots and the stones in cages?

Thank you members for coming along to yet another interesting & informative GV. If anyone would like to have a GV please drop me a line on my site inbox (Dianne). Your garden need not be big, on acreage, or a picture of perfection, we welcome New Members to have a GV especially if you are in the first stages of starting out, you may find some members are certainly able to give free advice and answer questions you may have. You may live in a unit and have a balcony garden, or in an orchard, no garden is to big or to small for us to come share some good food & even better company.

Thank You Andy for keeping BLF Running Along, just love the Videos everyone puts on and the content of Forum, Blogs and Groups is always a winner. I will put some photos on tomorrow (of Gayle D's GV) after I have cleared my desk.  

Hi Dianne - stones in pots and cages.  
The previous owners of this house liked their stones.  In the back corner behind what was the pool were some golden cane palm trees with a load of river rocks on the ground.  Those are the stones now in cages  They are gabion cages and make really good breeding habitat for lizards and skinks.  Also a good sturdy base for a seat (this is an old pic - that seat top made of repurposed fence palings is now on the one out the front).  I still haven't used up all those rocks.

The white stones in pots is me in the process of clearing those white stones on black plastic that they had along the west side.  So many stones and not big enough for gabion cages - if anyone wants any they can have them.  That will become a grass path.  Apart from issue of the plastic and what it does to the soil, the stones used to reflect a lot of heat up onto the house in summer. 

Great report Barb.  Love the photos you used! 

Lovely photos, Andy. Thanks to you and maybe Dianne.

The mystery plant was Metrosideros collina ‘Little Dugald’
https://www.brisbanecitylife.com.au/metrosideros-collina-little-dug... which I must have got from the label.
I remember reading somewhere it isn't native.  I got it several years ago and it's become very popular since with other varieties as well.

Thanks Gayle, Ken and David for opening your garden to us.  Such a great attraction for insects and wildlife, which is what many of us strive for.  A good reminder that we are only one of the many inhabitants of this world.

Most of us take ideas home from your place. " Dugald" appears to be a kiwi plant which is close enough to being a native." The butterflies were plentiful at your place.  We had a nice chat and cuppa as well.

Here are a few more Pics from GayleD's GV (not as grand as the first ones as this photographer is only learning)

they aren't half bad! - except something is wrong with Graham's camera.  It made me look fatish... 

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service