Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

this would be my dream set up - ! Anyone had any success in DIY aquaponics systems -with any of these elements 

1. barramundi fish 

2. submerging plant roots into the water   

3. solar powered recycle pumps 

surely as nitrogenous waste is heavier than water submerging root in the top layer is not a efficient as recylcing waste from the bottom ?

http://www.ivandimitrijevic.com/aquaponics-4-you-review-everything-...

Views: 437

Replies to This Discussion

Most of us use Jade Perch because they are a pretty hardy and forgiving fish, Mary-Ann.  I suspect our mild Brisbane winters might be a bit cold for Barra.  

As far as submerged roots, I have a friend who uses floating rafts in his system.  It seems to work pretty well. 

The issue with solar pumps is that you need to run continuously - including nights.  I experimented with solar panels and batteries but because I run two pumps, the load would have cost me a fortune in set up costs.  I just use the solar element as a backup for if I lose power to the house for some reason.  

thats interesting Andre

There is a commercial place at Beerburrum called Green Leaf Aquaponics that might interest you Mary-Ann. We did a VISIT there a little while back. They do the floating garden method.

71 Murphy's Road
Beerburrum 

5496 0448

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service