Finally (finally!), we have completed preparations of other parts of the garden which meant we could have a load of soil delivered. Our wicking beds are made from reclaimed hardwood sleepers and fence palings, lined with reclaimed carpet, new builder's plastic, reclaimed down pipes in the reservoir and new geotech fabric. We have had one working for about 6 months and finally have the second one ready to go.
Our wicking beds are in the backyard, up 6 steps. This meant all soil needed to be barrowed down to side of the house and lifted up the steps.
It was a hard job but we got it done in around 4 hours, with a few good breaks. It was done on Tuesday, in very hot weather but I'm happy it's in because today's rain has allowed it to settle.
Next steps are to add some cow manure and sugar cane mulch and then plant!
Those beds look so good!
All my husband's work. We are very much into reusing and zero waste so this was ideal. We don't like to spend money unnecessarily but are happy to invest in the right things (such as decent exclusion netting). I have learned so much from this site already and hope that this next bed will be better planned than our first, which is somewhat haphazard. We have a small block but two beds should keep us in vegetables from here to eternity. Fruit trees will be a challenge but we have some small plans for the future.
Wow way too flash for my place!