Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

HERE'S the link for the original site.

I've eaten Cassava steamed with sugar and coconut milk, wrapped in banana leaf, and it was totally delicious. I tried a small piece of this cassava cake at Joseph's and Joanne's and it was also totally delicious and of course gluten free for this Coeliac.

For me, the problem is lack of experience preparing the home grown Cassava when I have a crop. The last crop went rotten (in a week!) while I was trying to figure out how to use it. It's useful to know that pre-prepared dried Cassava flour can be purchased from the specialty shops.

Vietnamese Coconut Cassava Cake

Ingredients

• ~ 900g grated cassava (two bags of frozen grated cassava from Asian supermarket)
  • 150g dried yellow mung beans
  • 170g butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup of coconut milk + 1 cup coconut milk
  • ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup dessicated coconut

Note: Fresh cassava requires much preparation (you have to peel then soak to remove some of the bitterness, grate, soak again, settle the starch, combine starch with grated cassava etc.) so I opted to use frozen grated cassava that I bought from my Asian supermarket. 

Method

Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 20cm square baking tin with foil and grease with melted butter.

Thaw the frozen cassava. I left it in the fridge overnight and then put it in a strainer to drain away the extra liquid.

Prep mung beans - In a bowl, wash mung beans thoroughly and soak for at least 3-4 hours before cooking. Drain and place mung beans in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to boil, then lower heat and cook mung beans for 15-20 minutes until the mung beans are soft and tender. Drain well and then place the cooked mung beans in a blender and pulse a few times, then add in ¼ cup of coconut milk and process to a fine puree.

Cooked mung beans

Pureed mung beans with coconut milk

In a large bowl, whisk the caster sugar and eggs together, then add in vanilla extract, salt, melted butter, 1 cup of coconut milk, condensed milk, cassava, dessicated coconut and pureed mung beans. Mix together well so that everything is fully incorporated.

Pour the mixture into the baking tin and bake for 1 hour until the top is a crisp golden brown.

Cool and then slice into pieces.

Views: 2237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh well the guy said they were 'finished' as was the grated frozen Cassava; had had frozen Cassava in balls but I've no idea how to prepare that. No matter, the creepy guy had grated frozen Cassava and reckoned there was no such thing as Cassava flour :-\, wanted me to take Tapioca flour - just not sure which is what, a new field for me. Once I get the condensed milk, I'll be making it today all being well.

Hi Elaine.. Same item... Tapioca is also known as cassava... :)

They are one and the same apparently. Wierd because I have Tapioca in my pantry and it is tiny balls that I understood came from the Tapioca Palm - nothing to do with Cassava.

Mum used to make Tapioca pudding - yecch. Dead cat's eyes.

Oh. Thank you Matt.

I LOVE Tapioca Pudding! Still make it.

Lissa: You may have done something wrong with the Mung Beans. Normally I steam them till soft (that way the nutrients do not leach into the water) and it's easily mash-able even with a fork, but i normally use a potato ricer/masher. The boiling method should turn them mush/soft quicker than steaming...

It is quite a thick/high slice you got there.. normally the asian desserts are about 1/2 that height.. Perhaps that's why it burned at 180degrees without being cooked though? Also less sugar means it won't caramalise as well as Joseph's..

No doubt the mung beans will have made it substantial, if you followed my posted recipe, it would not be bulky due to the lack of fibre from the mungbeans. :)

Glad you liked it..

I'll try your recipe next Matt :) Lots of cake to get through first!

The cake didn't burn and it is cooked right through - it was the boiling mung beans that almost burned.

It is thick isn't it. The only real difference was 100g extra cassava flour due to the 1kg pack. Maybe I need to use a larger, shallower tray next time. Not sure if I own one. I'll bear in mind your comment about the sugar and put in the whole lot next time. Trying to remove excess sugar from my diet though.

What kind of steamer are you using for the mung beans?

Hi lissa, just half the recipe!

I think sugar can be cut by up to a quarter in ths instance..

Just a normal steamer, u can also try an upturned bowl in a deep pot n put a plate of mung beans on top, that works too.

When's the next gv maybe I'll bring some so we can try the difference?

:)

Next GV is on 21st HERE.

Yep, would love to compare cakes :) It will be a good chance for everyone to get in on the act.

Maybe some sugar sprinkled on top might caramelise into that good looking brown, what do you think?

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service