Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

HERE'S the link for the original site.

I've eaten Cassava steamed with sugar and coconut milk, wrapped in banana leaf, and it was totally delicious. I tried a small piece of this cassava cake at Joseph's and Joanne's and it was also totally delicious and of course gluten free for this Coeliac.

For me, the problem is lack of experience preparing the home grown Cassava when I have a crop. The last crop went rotten (in a week!) while I was trying to figure out how to use it. It's useful to know that pre-prepared dried Cassava flour can be purchased from the specialty shops.

Vietnamese Coconut Cassava Cake

Ingredients

• ~ 900g grated cassava (two bags of frozen grated cassava from Asian supermarket)
  • 150g dried yellow mung beans
  • 170g butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup of coconut milk + 1 cup coconut milk
  • ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup dessicated coconut

Note: Fresh cassava requires much preparation (you have to peel then soak to remove some of the bitterness, grate, soak again, settle the starch, combine starch with grated cassava etc.) so I opted to use frozen grated cassava that I bought from my Asian supermarket. 

Method

Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 20cm square baking tin with foil and grease with melted butter.

Thaw the frozen cassava. I left it in the fridge overnight and then put it in a strainer to drain away the extra liquid.

Prep mung beans - In a bowl, wash mung beans thoroughly and soak for at least 3-4 hours before cooking. Drain and place mung beans in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to boil, then lower heat and cook mung beans for 15-20 minutes until the mung beans are soft and tender. Drain well and then place the cooked mung beans in a blender and pulse a few times, then add in ¼ cup of coconut milk and process to a fine puree.

Cooked mung beans

Pureed mung beans with coconut milk

In a large bowl, whisk the caster sugar and eggs together, then add in vanilla extract, salt, melted butter, 1 cup of coconut milk, condensed milk, cassava, dessicated coconut and pureed mung beans. Mix together well so that everything is fully incorporated.

Pour the mixture into the baking tin and bake for 1 hour until the top is a crisp golden brown.

Cool and then slice into pieces.

Views: 2234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I mean... Boiling water.. Not oiling water...

The flavour Banana leaf imparts is just sensational! Combined with the Coconut milk, to die for. Next time I make some ordinary baked goods I'll try the Banana leaf, never thought of that ;-)

There are two on Gympie Rd at Aspley in the shopping strip just before Robinson Rd ie on the LHS as you are heading into town. The first one is just up from the Chinese restaurant but before Cash Converters, the other is just past cash converters in the corner fronting the car park.
Don't know if either will have what you want but it is worth a try.

Thanks Susanne. Had a look at google maps and (at the time of the photo) one just has the word "Asian" on it's facade and the other appears to be Ghazal Indian Smorgesboard (?the only other shop I could see that would fit the bill). They're both within easy walking distance of each other.

I'll see how I go with this place at D'Bay today as working in that area.

The second one is reasonably new, it is in the corner between cash converters and the Indian restaurant, was still there a couple of weeks ago when I went past.
Google maps is good for approximates but not always current.

No not always current, but they show where Cash Converters are which would make it easy to find the other stores.

I've found what I needed at the shop at 681 Deception Bay Rd, D'Bay anyway. Bought enough for making two cakes and I'm defrosting one of the grated cassava packets with the hope of making one tomorrow morning.

Spicemartonline.com.au is the online ordering arm of the 'spice mart' that was at the Aspley Hypemarket.

There is a fair amount displayed on their web site but not all of the product/produce. I usually send them an email if I don't see what I want.

Both of the products you are looking for are stocked and available.

There are two shops on the Southside but for us northsiders it is more convenient to email info@spicemartonline.com.au with an order/request, they will deliver.

It turned out pretty well. I halved the sugar (not fussed on sweet stuff despite being a chocoholic), the packet of cassava flour I bought was a full kg so I threw the lot in and added a bit more runny to make up for it. Realised part way through cooking that I should adjust my fan force oven down a bit to 150 from the recommended 180.

I almost burned the yellow mung beans while boiling but they came out ok. Quite difficult to mush them properly with a stick blender - will use a bowl next time instead of the tall narrow container that came with the blender. Consequently you can see some of these still whole in the cake.

Banana leaf base no doubt added some extra flavour.

Flavour is good if a little unusual to my western palate. Texture is great. I really like these substantial cakes.

Yummm! Morning tea at your place, Lissa? :-)

lol

Are you coming to the next GV? I'll restrain myself from eating the lot and freeze half of this and bring it on the day.

Oh yes! I'm about to make one myself. The Indian grocer didn't have the flour (guess who bought him out?) nor grated frozen; trying the creepy guy next. Got the Mung beans - it says to pre-soak. I do that with all dried beans except for the Limas, and often using a small amount of water and sort of steaming (absorption method) turns Rice and beans soft and fluffy. Interested to see how the Mung beans work.

Ooops. When I went through the guys shop I did find other bags of cassava flour down the back in a small freezer at the end of the second (?) row of shelves from the front counter. I think they might have been smaller than 1kg - I didn't check them out thoroughly. Just had a little smile as I was pretty sure he had directed me to the bigger, more expensive ones. Maybe he just didn't know these were there.

I pre-soaked the mung beans overnight.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service