Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

HERE'S the link for the original site.

I've eaten Cassava steamed with sugar and coconut milk, wrapped in banana leaf, and it was totally delicious. I tried a small piece of this cassava cake at Joseph's and Joanne's and it was also totally delicious and of course gluten free for this Coeliac.

For me, the problem is lack of experience preparing the home grown Cassava when I have a crop. The last crop went rotten (in a week!) while I was trying to figure out how to use it. It's useful to know that pre-prepared dried Cassava flour can be purchased from the specialty shops.

Vietnamese Coconut Cassava Cake

Ingredients

• ~ 900g grated cassava (two bags of frozen grated cassava from Asian supermarket)
  • 150g dried yellow mung beans
  • 170g butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup of coconut milk + 1 cup coconut milk
  • ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup dessicated coconut

Note: Fresh cassava requires much preparation (you have to peel then soak to remove some of the bitterness, grate, soak again, settle the starch, combine starch with grated cassava etc.) so I opted to use frozen grated cassava that I bought from my Asian supermarket. 

Method

Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 20cm square baking tin with foil and grease with melted butter.

Thaw the frozen cassava. I left it in the fridge overnight and then put it in a strainer to drain away the extra liquid.

Prep mung beans - In a bowl, wash mung beans thoroughly and soak for at least 3-4 hours before cooking. Drain and place mung beans in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to boil, then lower heat and cook mung beans for 15-20 minutes until the mung beans are soft and tender. Drain well and then place the cooked mung beans in a blender and pulse a few times, then add in ¼ cup of coconut milk and process to a fine puree.

Cooked mung beans

Pureed mung beans with coconut milk

In a large bowl, whisk the caster sugar and eggs together, then add in vanilla extract, salt, melted butter, 1 cup of coconut milk, condensed milk, cassava, dessicated coconut and pureed mung beans. Mix together well so that everything is fully incorporated.

Pour the mixture into the baking tin and bake for 1 hour until the top is a crisp golden brown.

Cool and then slice into pieces.

Views: 2234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is sensationally delicious! Yellow Mung Beans are new to me - green Mung Beans are the basis of 'bean sprouts'. A tad more info on them would be good - or a substitute e.g. Lentils?

No idea about them myself Elaine. I just ate it ;)

It's a great pity the asian grocery store closed down at the Hypermarket at Aspley - I could pop in there easily. There is a small place at Lawnton near the train station - if it's still there. I may have time to check today and see if I can find all the ingredients. Trouble is....then I eat it all lol. Little piggy.

I know a bit about that! ;-) There's a small asian grocers just around the corner here, he does (or did) have frozen cassava and we've got the coconut milk. It's the coconut which gives it that distinctive flavour.

The Lawnton store has closed down and I can't find any others online bar one at Chermside.

There's an online grocery store but they don't stock either the dried yellow mung beans or the grated cassava.

Anyone know of Asian Grocery store/s on the northside? Preferably near Strathpine.

Aha! 'Yellow Mung Beans' are hulled Mung Beans! See here.

And they are available online at Organic Road at least; no idea how to de-hull them short of sprouting them and that takes some days. I make the guess that yellow Lentils could do a similar job.

I have plenty of yellow lentils! Might be worth a go.

Still have the problem of getting my hands on the grated cassava. All the asian shops seem to be on the southside :/

Yup!! Yellow Mung BEans are de-skinned green mung beans.. Some indian shops have sold them as Mung Dal.. My indian friends insist they are different items but it looks suspiciously similar to me.. The other place you could try is a new indian grocery in Toombul shopping centre. I suspect the lentils you get from woolies/coles are different, but worth a shot.. Let me know the taste!

Joseph's recipes are interesting.. The recipe I have does not call for mung beans, but either wheat flour or tapioca (cassava) flour. Let me look for it when I get home tonight...

Life doesn't take me anywhere near Toombul. Elaine has found a place not far from Mango Hill - I'll have a look tomorrow and see whether they have the ingredients.

Would like to see your recipe Matt.

Hi lissa, check out the photo posted.
Attachments:

Nice Matt - thank you.

How does one "soften a banana leaf". Precut the bit needed and dip in some boiling water? Do you need to dry it off before using in the pan or could it go it damp?

Hi lissa, you can soften by dipping in oiling water, or use direct flame over the leaf. There are 2 sides to the leaf, one smooth, one sorta waxy. The smooth ( I think topside) is the side you want to put the food on. Alternatively baking paper can be used.
Yes just give it a wipe dry before use.

Baking paper is just so blase ;) Banana leaf is exotic and would inbibe some flavour perhaps.

Thanks for the heads up about sides etc though. Wouldn't have known.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service