Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I'm SO over the crows stealing my tomatoes and passionfruit.  It's worse that they just take a bite out of the tomatoes then leave the remains scattered around the garden to taunt me. Has anyone tried a scarecrow in their garden?  Do they really work?  The crows don't seem all that bothered by me being near them, so not sure a 'fake me' would make much difference. I notice on canals that people have ceramic owls around their property to keep ducks away, are crows scared of owls too I wonder?  

Views: 439

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I doubt crows are scared of anything to be hones, but I'd love to know how you remedy this.

Strangely enough, I've had this same problem just this morning. Found tomatoes that I didn't know I had strewn around my yard pecked and half eaten. I'm pretty sure the Indian Mynahs do this too with my eggplant. I never catch them at it, just find the damage after they visit.

This morning there was a young crow on top of my aviary trying to get at poor old Bob, my disabled cockatiel, to eat him. I had to jump up and down waving my arms and making loud noises before it would leave to the neighbours roof.

Bet not, Owls are night birds and Crows are day birds. We've Crows here too but so far no one has bothered the Tomatoes. If possible, a rigid wire frame enclosing the Tomatoes would be your best defence, keep Possums away too if there's any about. Lissa, Crow might scare old Bob to death :-(

Bob is a toughy :)

The dogs know when they hear a crow outside to go out and bark at it. Poor Freya, now almost completely blind, just barks into thin air lol. The crows ignore the dogs now too. Used to be enough to frighten them off. Smart creatures.

The chap who owns the tennis courts where Christine and I play has been troubled by birds pulling on the loose threads of his synthetic grass courts, so he bought a couple of rubber snakes to scare off the offenders, certainly scares the hell out of the old ladies who forget they're there.

I have a very realistic clay goanna on top of my aviary for the same purpose. The crows, doves and mynahs all ignore it but it's a bit of fun when a human visitor sees it ;)

LOL!

Old CDs hanging on strings so they spin and move in the wind is one remedy.  The spinning mirrors always have the element of surprise.  Saying that, crows are pretty damn smart and might figure it out over time.

The only real prevention is to cage your fruit.  My step-mother is a superior gardener and she puts paper bags over all her ripening fruit to deter the bats and birds.  They can smell it, but they cannot see it, so they tend to leave it alone and look elsewhere.  

You can train crows to be scared of humans - a family friend had only to point a broomstick at the local crows and they would head for the hills - because he was on a farm and would occasionally shoot at them with his rifle. 

I squirt them with the hose if I get a chance, and recently when they were getting into the henhouse I trapped them in there and scared the daylights out of them by smashing on the wire with a broom and screaming for several minutes - never seen them in there again, and they steer well clear of me if they see me in the yard. But they're so smart - if I'm not around they are.

I don't know how you get rid of them. Some people say plant more shrubs and bird cover to increase the diversity of other birds and this will drive them elsewhere (several of the native bird species do seem to swoop at them). Also make sure any rubbish bins etc in the local area have lids on them.

I don't want to get rid of mine, they are rarely a problem for me, more so for poor Bob when the young ones try to eat him. Todays raid on toms I didn't know I had was the exception. They are intelligent and unlike other people I know, I like to hear them calling. They have a place in the scheme of things.

They serve a purpose cleaning up road kill. My country friends hate them because of the the damage they do to lambs (I'm told). They do get stuck into peoples bins if they are overfilled - more the fault of the humans.

I'm sure the Indian Mynahs do far more damage in my yard, but even these I don't dislike. They have a very pretty call.

yes, for sure

it's like anything in nature i guess - you can't actually 'get rid' of anything - and if you do it's a crime against nature!

the best you can do is manage your personal habitat so it has more of what you do want and less of what you don't

in my case i'd be happy if the sparrows visited the henhouse a little less because they steal all the food and make a mess on the wire, but there's nothing i can really do. i don't mind the crows - i was worried they'd hurt the baby chickens, but if they don't go in the henhouse i don't mind. also they don't seem to be trying to, so we have a truce now. i saw a butcher bird peck the eyes out of a dove fledgling in my place at brisbane - not pretty at all :(

i quite like indian mynahs, they're friendly and cheeky, although i like willie wagtails and wattle birds and kookaburras and wrens and honey eaters more because they're not bullies - and the indian mynahs are. they only really move in and take over when the others aren't there though - and the others are usually not there only if there is no suitable habitat - i.e. mynahs move into impoverished urban environments - but if you increase the diversity and habitat value for other birds, they move back in and the mynah packs get smaller and it all evens itself out (after a bit of bullying). same with crows - they like big single trees, not shrubbery

Thanks everyone! I'll try your ideas.  I have some tomatoes just ripening, so for now will bag them.  

You can buy hawk statues as well.  No idea if they work. 

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service