Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Salsas and sauces miscelllaney led me to PeriPeri, Chimichurri and Guasacaca .

I do make a lot of salsa to go with whatever else fills a tortilla. Basically you check out what you may have on hand and convert that into a sauce like topping. 'Salsas' can be made from almost anything.

But I always yearn for that next level -- another layer to go on top of the food either in a taco or over a grill and roast. Even in a soup.

In this quest, I've settled on PeriPeri as the quintessential goes-with-anything sauce. 

PeriPeri may be an African chilli cultivar but it is also an African sauce or salsa  adopted by the Portuguese after their colonialists  in Africa invented it either in Angola or Mozambique.

I find that Peri/Peri is very versatile and make sure I always have a jar of the stuff -- homemade -- on hand.

The recipe is simple: mash up all ingredients together by hand or processor and stew for 20 minutes.

Peri/Peri Basic Ingredients

• 2 red onions peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 head of garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 cup  chillies -- stems removed
  • 2 (preferably red) bell peppers (capsicums) seeds removed and roughly chopped
  • 3 ripe tomatoes  and roughly chopped
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • juice and zest of 3 lemons
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika

Instead of the dried herbs you can use:

• 1/2 cup chopped coriander
  • 1/4 cup chopped basil or parsley

And you can up the oil (for preserving) to 1/2 cup.

You can also roast the tomatoes, chillies and peppers before use. Or you can add sugar. I don't like adding sugar to anything except kombucha.

The traditional chilli used is birdseye -- but really, whatever you like or have to hand should do. Dry chillies are OK to use. So too is tinned tomatoes such as cherry toms.

I appreciate that Peri/Peri uses accessible ingredients -- akin to what I may have in my larder. A cup of chillies may be the find challenge -- but then you may be a light heat person so less is kosher. 

But put 'some' chilli in, please. Given the varying ratios, there is plenty of room to fiddle with the proportions to suit your taste buds.You are seeking sourness with the vinegar and lemon kick.

Aside from sauce usage, Peri/Peri also makes a great marinade.

i make a few jars up. Give a jar away. Freeze some. And one I know will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks --apparently, but I've always eaten it all well before then..

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I made the chimchurri sauce following your recipe Dave. Love it. It goes well on most dishes.

Ohhh. Too much. The sourness of the chimichurri would work so well.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service