Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Overnight veggie raid: is it a rat, or possum?  We've had both about the place.

Photos attached of eaten spinach and coriander plants.

Views: 252

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had two Huskies.  They were most effective at removing animal pests.  In fact, far too effective.  Possums, lizards, rats, my son's parrots in an aviary and even my own cat (I bloody loved that cat too).  Anyway, I had to wait for the girls to die of old age before I kept chickens, quails and could even grow most plants - including lawn to be honest. Who knew that when the wind blows, Huskies burrow down into the snow to keep warm.  Even if that snow is green. I recommend terriers. 

If you have a dog high fences are not a good idea  as intruders  are high enough and if metal fence the dog makes a lot of noise jumping against the fence at night time.

My dog jumps up and grabs them off the top of the fence.

Shes a great dane mastiff wolfhound mix though.

The possums dont suffer as they are dead in seconds, once she got a few the others stay away. But yes it gets loud if there is a possum on the powerlines and she sees it.

Here is my way of keeping out possums. The floppy fence is fixed on supports at either end but remain loose in between.  

Problem solved. Behold, my new possum proof cage...

Attachments:

That'll do the trick. 

Great work. Between the possums and the rats as well as the plague proportion butterflies and moths after the drought, it’s been a tough year for gardeners!

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service