Hi Everyone,

Yes we have very sandy soil on our small 12 acres and I would like to change that to be able to grow vegetables for myself and some mates.  I have 2 worm farms I've just started but am only feeling my way with those.
I see some of you are talking about solar power.  The house is fully powered by the solar system and as back up we have a huge generator and of course normal electricity.  The solar has been such a great addition.
We have an underground bore which can pump water to the house and house yard as well as a windmill, that is presently being replaced after Cyclone Debbie, that services the house and house yard.
I have about 12 mango trees; a huge massive tamarind tree; 1 mandarin tree, 1 apple tree, 2 cumquat trees, 1 sour sop tree, 2 avocado trees, a number of sugar banana trees, a few paw paws, 1 lime tree, 1 nectarine tree, 1 mandarin/lime tree, 1 lemon tree, 1 pomegranate tree.  I have planted potatoes a few weeks back and have 1 chilli growing and 5 celery plants. 
Today I bought snow pea plants, zucchini plants, capsicum plants and a punnet of leeks which I will plant tomorrow.
I'll put some photos up in a few days.
Regards, Carol.

You need to be a member of brisbanelocalfood3 to add comments!

Join brisbanelocalfood3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sounds like you have a wonderful Fruit Salad growing there in Bowen. My two Mango trees have just started fruiting up this year for the first time and I can't wait to see if they mature. The 2 way Cherry for warmer areas, have flowers on as have the Peaches, Nectarine & Apricot. And the Citrus have all gone wild so many buds coming on.

• Would have thought potatoes would be a winter only crop in Bowen how hot does it get in spring.

• Great stuff Carol.

• Thanks Carol, good to hear from new members. Roughly where are you located?

• Bowen in North Queensland.
This reply was deleted.