Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Hi Everyone,

Yes we have very sandy soil on our small 12 acres and I would like to change that to be able to grow vegetables for myself and some mates.  I have 2 worm farms I've just started but am only feeling my way with those.
I see some of you are talking about solar power.  The house is fully powered by the solar system and as back up we have a huge generator and of course normal electricity.  The solar has been such a great addition.
We have an underground bore which can pump water to the house and house yard as well as a windmill, that is presently being replaced after Cyclone Debbie, that services the house and house yard.
I have about 12 mango trees; a huge massive tamarind tree; 1 mandarin tree, 1 apple tree, 2 cumquat trees, 1 sour sop tree, 2 avocado trees, a number of sugar banana trees, a few paw paws, 1 lime tree, 1 nectarine tree, 1 mandarin/lime tree, 1 lemon tree, 1 pomegranate tree.  I have planted potatoes a few weeks back and have 1 chilli growing and 5 celery plants. 
Today I bought snow pea plants, zucchini plants, capsicum plants and a punnet of leeks which I will plant tomorrow.
I'll put some photos up in a few days.
Regards, Carol.

Views: 196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Carol, good to hear from new members. Roughly where are you located?

Bowen in North Queensland.

Great stuff Carol.

Would have thought potatoes would be a winter only crop in Bowen how hot does it get in spring.

They are but I will do my best to help them produce

Attachments:

My snow peas have just about had it now. 

Sounds like you have a wonderful Fruit Salad growing there in Bowen. My two Mango trees have just started fruiting up this year for the first time and I can't wait to see if they mature. The 2 way Cherry for warmer areas, have flowers on as have the Peaches, Nectarine & Apricot. And the Citrus have all gone wild so many buds coming on.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service