Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Not my favorite vegetable but I do grow and eat it.

However, I am learning respect for Filipino cuisine and along with choko, Filipinos celebrate Moringa. Indeed, if there is a moringa tree in your neighbourhood, chances are its grower has some Filipino background.

This article is a great summary of the plant itself, and then goes on to deliver a series of recipes that feature moringa leaves or other parts of the tree.

My major complaint against the leaves was that mine were fiddly small. But this time around they have become bigger and are much easier to strip from their stems.

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes moringa and chokos are much maligned yet versatile and useful vegetables - also find this with malabar ceylon and other spinaches . Will try some of the recipes definitely - our favourite here is a couple of minutes in the microwave for chokos then sliced and dipped in egg and breadcrumbs - we were given an air fryer - best thing ever... crisp yet no fat!!!  the spinaches like kale make great dried chips especially if placed in salt and vinegar mix ( like we do cucumbers,  kwinona , small luffas zucchini etc 

Wow that sounds pretty good actually

Dave, have you read about the water cleaning effect of the feathery dry seeds of Moringa?

Christa, if you are interested in finding out more about Moringa, in particular it's use as a water purifier, you can go to:   strongharvest.org  Then look under "Resources" and then "Research".

This organisation was started by Rick and Jeri Kemmer, a Canadian couple who decided to promote the health benefits of Moringa, particularly in undernourished 3rd world regions.  I had the pleasure of meeting them a few years ago at an ECHO International Conference in Florida.  This couple have developed a program for local people to grow moringa, for both improved health and for micro businesses, and it is extremely successful.  I get regular newsletters from them and rejoice how moringa is changing so many lives.

Vivienne, That is a good article on the ability of moringa. The section, "Moringa Seeds And “Sticky Killer Sand” Work Together To Clean Water" by Krista Weidner, is interesting.  

Moringa is indeed a miracle tree.  I often think of the fact that our 4 rainwater tanks that we use for the garden, may one day be needed for drinking water.  The pollutants in the air and the location of an industrial area closeby, does not allow us to drink that water without filtration.  If we used the sand and crushed moringa  seed  as our first filter, we could collect all the loose floating residues in that water and then go to a micron filter to clean the rest of the water.  The last filter would remove the oily taste left in the stored water.

Between the use of Vetiver and Moringa, life should be better.

No. But as I say I'm not enamoured with Moringa in the mouth. Like kale and Gynura procumbens it fails the taste test.

Chaya, on the other hand, is where it's culinary at. However, I was interested in the Filipino take on Moringa so that I could change my mind. But then Moringa leaves can cause a gag reflex when eaten neat.

That was my first experience of Moringa: nausea.

I checked out the seed purification...but you'd need a lot of seeds.

On that, since Chaya is such a big leaf I wonder if it can be air dried. Since it needs to be cooked before eaten  I doubt that air drying would substitute for that.

But then, check out the image: Chaya margaritas!

I'd suck on that!

All day. Every day. No gagging.

I had a similiar experience eating-wise but great for the chooks

I use my moringa fresh in green smoothies where the moringa flavor is masked by the fruit in the smoothie.  I usually use banana and pawpaw or pineapple, together with lots of green leaves such as spinach.

A friend dries the moringa leaves and then uses them in her smoothies.  The leaves dry very quickly and once dried they have very little taste.  However the dried leaves are still very nutritious.

Good to know. I have seen overpriced dried moringa powder in health food shops!

Nobody is cooking Maringa beans when they are very young?  My Rozie's friend calls it Drumstick Bean.  I know she does an Indian salad with it too.  I suspect we aren't spicing properly.... reminds me of pigeon pea (Tor Dahl). 

yeah people have told me the young pods are great slow cooked in a curry

Yes. The pods -- the drumsticks -- are sold in the Indian/Fijian place in the Valley.

Go here for a range of options.

So far I've not had pods to play percussion with.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service