Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

In recent years, scientists have found that the effects of genetically modified (GM) food are more complex and unpredictable than had been foreseen. Governments and regulatory agencies worldwide have displayed growing caution in response to this new understanding, and the ever-increasing uncertainty about the safety of GM crops for both human health and the environment.

In the 2007 election, the Federal ALP promised not to approve the release of GM crops unless they could be proven safe "beyond reasonable doubt". Please help the GM free Alliance to remind the Federal Government that it has yet to deliver on its election promises and party policy relating to GM foods and crops.

Please lend your voice and sign this petition. It takes 30 seconds and it will make a difference.

To find out more about GMOs, have a look at this short video: http://vimeo.com/6614397

Follow the link to send an email (the easy way!):

Safe beyond reasonable doubt?

Views: 290

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I watched "Food Matters" free viewing, really reassuring me about everything I already knew and thought.  Our food for many reasons does not possess the nutrients that our bodies need for good health.  GM in my mind is very scary, not enough research done before being added to the food chain.  It's all about feeding the masses and it is isn't going to get any better.  I'm afraid it's up to ourselves to screen the food we are eating to maintain our health and that of our families. 

Off topic slightly!! :) I was recently in a health food store, there was a lady in their that bought her honey from them regularly, it was natural and organic, we keep bees and my father did too when I was growing up so I have an understanding of what happens to honey in differing temperatures.  This lady was complaining that there must be additives in the honey as it was crystallizing, making a really scene in the shop, I restrained from telling her it is what happens to natural honey in cold temperatures, no doubt she had been keeping it in the fridge.  Looking at her she was quite obese, had just visited the supermarket as there was a trolley in tow, glancing what she had in there was nothing but potatoe chips, bottles of soft drinks amongst the other junk and processed food.  It makes me thing that in general the majority of the populous doesn't think about what they are putting in their mouths and it really made a fool of her complaining about her honey!!!!

As many people as possible should sign the petitiion but to be quite honest I think the decisions from those in power have all ready been made!

Good points Shirley-Allison! I hope the shop assistant was able to tell her about the crystalising of pure honey. To what petition do you refer? A link would be good if it's still current.

To sign the petition just click on the link at the bottom of Liss'a post "Safe beyond reasonable doubt" lets you fill in your details and it is emailed to the minister.

I don't want to think it's too late to change things but also think the wheels are already in motion.

Did you see the Plastic Planet video on the front page? Now that is horrifying. 1.5hrs but well worth watching.                                            

The email link is at the bottom of this posting as well.

Pigs are severely harmed by GM feed, new study shows

A new research paper, published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Organic Systems and released last week, revealed that pigs are seriously harmed by the consumption of feed containing genetically modified (GM) crops over a commercial rearing lifetime. Pigs fed on the GM diet had more severe stomach inflamation and GM fed females had on average a 25% heavier uterus than non-GM-fed females.

This study, lead by Dr Judy Carman, adjunct associate professor at Flinders University (Adelaide) is adding to the long list of recent research showing there are potential health risks linked to eating GM food that are not addressed in any current assessment regime in the world. Few people know that GM foods are never tested over a time frame longer than 90 days. This new study shows once again the need to develop strong and independant long term feeding studies of GM food crops designed to research their potential effects over whole lifetimes and across generations.

>> More information on Dr Judy Carman's work

ATTENTION!! Dear Safe Fooders, Syngenta and...

Monique Rebekah 17 July 17:49
ATTENTION!! Dear Safe Fooders, Syngenta and Bayer have applied to FSANZ to import a new strain of GM Soy into AUS and NZ. GM soy is already imported but not this strain. FSANZ are inviting submissions regarding this application and I have created a template for anyone who wants to use and send to them!! Please send this or anything of your own to submissions@foodstandards.gov.au. This is a great opportunity for us to voice our concerns in vast numbers to try and make a change. I have pasted it underneath so you can copy and paste. GO!! :-)

RE: Application number A1081 – Food derived from Herbicide-tolerant Soybean Event SYHT0H2

To the Food Standards Australia and New Zealand,

I am writing to you regarding the recent application from Bayer and Syngenta to introduce the import of GM Soy that is developed to be resistant to Glufosinate-ammonium and Mesotrione.

I ask that you deny permission to this application based on insubstantial evidence on the safety of these chemicals and the effects of this genetic modification on animals, people and the environment.

There is no significant evidence to prove that the consumption and use of Glufosinate-Ammonium or Mesotrione is safe. Terms used in the scientific findings are only ‘likely’ or ‘unlikely’ and cannot be the basis of a decision that affects our health and the effect on our biodiversity in Australia and New Zealand. The toxic effect on animals is present and proven. How that translates to human beings cannot be determined until the effects are seen, and is too late.
According to the Sigma-Aldrich Material Data Safety Sheet, Glufosinate-Ammonium and Mesotrine are both hazardous chemicals and should be avoided via ingestion or to be released into the environment.

The people, animals and environment of Australia and New Zealand should not be used as guinea pigs for a global experiment for agrochemical companies. Neither should we endorse other countries to produce them by importing their products, as you will see from the references that occupational exposure is not included in the US Environmental Protection Agencie’s safety testing. We are directly endorsing the risk of harming farmers in other countries as well.

Glufosinate produces neurotoxic effects and various studies have proved that these effects occur on humans, and animals including birth defects.

A direct quote from the book Toxicological Sciences by Oxford Journals regarding the long term effects of GLA:

‘Although acute effects of GLA exposure are well documented (Nakaki et al., 2000; Watanabe and Sano, 1998), results of long-term exposure at low doses remain largely unknown. It has been shown that pesticides of the organophosphate family that includes GLA induce cognitive and neurobehavioral impairments in farm workers (Farahat et al., 2003; Fiedler et al., 1997; Roldan-Tapia et al., 2005). Determination of possible harmful side effects of GLA is a major health concern for people permanently or quasi permanently exposed to the compound.’

An excerpt from a fact sheet on Glufosinate-Ammonium from the Pesticide Action Network in the UK regarding adverse health effects, leaching into water and soil and dependency on herbicide use:

‘…studies demonstrate that it causes adverse health effects in animal studies, is likely to leach to drinking water sources, could increase nitrate leaching, and is toxic to beneficial soil micro-organisms. The introduction of glufosinate resistant crops and a greater exposure to glufosinate increases the likelihood of these harmful effects in humans and the environment. Glufosinate resistance will tend to intensify and increase dependency on herbicide use rather than lead to significant reductions.’

Please see another fact sheet on Glufosinate from the Center for Environmental Risk Assessment: http://www.cera-gmc.org/static/htmfiles/glufosinate.htm

Regarding the effects of Mesotrione, I have included direct quotes from the Final Rule of the US Environmental Protection Agency of the application from Syngenta to use Mesotrione tolerant Soy beans.

‘Prenatal and postnatal sensitivity. There is quantitative evidence of increased susceptibility of the young in the oral prenatal developmental toxicity studies in rats, mice, and rabbits and in the multi-generation reproduction study in mice.’

‘Long-term aggregate risk was not calculated’

‘Section 408(b)(2)(A)(ii) of FFDCA (Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act) [[Page 67120]] defines ``safe'' to mean that ``there is a reasonable certainty that no harm will result from aggregate exposure to the pesticide chemical residue, including all anticipated dietary exposures and all other exposures for which there is reliable information.'' This includes exposure through drinking water and in residential settings, but does not include occupational exposure.’

The fact that this herbicide tolerant strain is used in various other countries is not a testament to its safety but a confirmation of the lack of due care from the agro-chemical companies who sell them and the relevant governing bodies who allow their use.

Please do not take part in the negligence and violation of these companies and take into account the voice of Australian and New Zealand citizens and deny permission for this strain of GM soya into our countries.

Sincerely,

Your Name

References:

http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/content/111/2/321.full.pdf+html

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/glufosin.htm

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2009-12-18/html/E9-30034.htm

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/MSDS/MSDS/DisplayMSDSPage.do?country=AU...

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/MSDS/MSDS/DisplayMSDSPage.do?country=AU...
www.cera-gmc.org

B.H. Done!

Thanks girls :) We can but try.

Sent, everyone needs to get on board to try and stop this.

Sent

Italy to Ban Monsanto GMO Corn with 80% Public Support

First India gives Monsanto a run for their ill-gotten money by refusing their patent applications, and now Italy, with the help of three Italian ministries, will try to undo Monsanto. A decree has been signed which will ban Monsanto’s MON810 maize, one of the two genetically modified crops currently legally grown in Europe and sold commercially. The decree is not yet binding as it has to be published in the official gazette, but the public stands behind the three Italian ministers who put forth the document with a resounding 80% against GMO and Monsanto, as evidenced in a public survey.

The agricultural ministry rightfully addressed one of many problems with Monsanto’s GMO crops, stating that they have a ‘negative impact on biodiversity.’ The ban was also signed by the health and environment ministries. That makes three. The ministries stated:

“Our agriculture is based on biodiversity, on quality, and those we must continue to aim for, without games that even from an economic point of view would not make us competitive.”

The three ministries have also notified the European Commission and other states in the EU about this important precedent-setting move to oust Monsanto from the world food supply monopoly that the company is currently trying to browbeat the world with. The ministries have also requested a scientific basis for the final decision from the European Food and Safety Authority – Europe’s version of the FDA, the country’s food safety watch dog.

Individual governments in the EU are able to introduce safeguards and recommendations if they feel the food supply is threatened, or there are environmental risks, however, the Commission must verify them and put them into action. Just last year French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayraul announced that the nation would maintain a key ban on the only remaining GMO currently allowed in Europe - the MON810 maize specifically.

“The protection of Italian distinctiveness must be a policy priority since it determines the existence of ‘Made in Italy’, which is our engine, our future, our leverage to return to growth in the food industry,” Coldiretti’s president, Sergio Marini, said in a statement.

Only five members of the European Union grew Monsanto’s MON810 maize last year, according to the International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications. Hopefully with the Commission’s approval of this new ban, Italy will kick Monsanto and all GMO crops out of the country completely going forward.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service