Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Not long ago I mentioned that I was not going to buy any new trees unless I disposed of some excess plants.  But, I got a reminder of an order from Daleys, so I had to get it as it was a rare plant.  

My aim is to stick to the jaboticaba type plants, mainly Myrciaria, Plinia and Eugenia family, for their fruit. We have a good stock of these plants.  Once they grow well, they will provide more fruit than blueberries and most ground berries .  We will hang onto the blueberries and the citrus for now and get back what we put into them.

We ended up buying an Otaheite gooseberry (Phyllanthus acidus), which is the same family as the Amla tree, but much smaller in height and an abundance of fruit. (see picture below)

If the 4 peach trees perform this year we may keep them.  The 4 Mango trees will have to do better. They are flowering well, the Dwarf Irwin has a pretty red stem with pink flowers and later hopefully produce big purple fruit.  The 2 longans have flowered but we will see what happens. The 2 custard apples are too young yet.  The 3 nectarines are looking good and The Erdon Lee Lychee is still growing, the Kwai Muk (richmond) has flowered but not held onto fruit.  The 3 Guava varieties are fruiting well.  The persimmons are deciduous.  The coffee arabica is about to fruit soon, the Cherry of the Rio Grand is too young and the 3 acerola are looking good.  The 2 of 5 Black Sapote have provided lovely sweet fruit. The 18 odd citrus trees are flowering and providing enough sweetness and juice. We are finally getting a few strawberries this season. The Govenor's plum tree and Shipton's Flat plum and Timorese plum are improving and the Natal plums are growing well but need more sun.  Phalsa is young and struggling. The 4 types of muberry trees are fruiting very well this year.

The plants that haven't given fruit well -are Dragon fruit maybe too much shade, the saba nut too much shade. The 2 grape vines no fruit?  The bananas other than Super Dwarf, are looking poor and need more food and water.  The 2 avocado trees have produced one fruit? but growing. The davidson plums are sad all bar one D.pruriens and one D. Johnsonii. The tropical pears are struggling.  

There are quite a few bush tucker plants growing well and our little patch of different lettuce, shallots and tomato plants are doing well.  My 5 miracle berry plants are growing taller. I am going by memory so there may be some I've forgotten. The 3 fig trees are getting the chop.

Star Gooseberry (Phyllanthus acidus) Growing on the trunk of the Fruit Tree

Photo on Daley Wedsite. (seems to be a bit dark)

Some people are finding it harder to buy different varieties of fruit etc. due to covid.  Have you experienced this shortage.

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah Christa been lean pickings. Probably a good thing for me, lol. Might be getting a couple of lucumas and two more green sapotes (pouterias are another of my favs) and maybe a marang after I get back from next week at Straddie. Just picked some black sapote, this is how they look when ready to pickSee how the whole caylx has lifted and its a duller green

Yes, that's the clue, but I should have timed it to that state. It can take a few months.  Don't you think.  I am about to cut one open tonight with ice cream.  The persimmon I have, reacts the same with the calyx lifting up.

The green sapote is another Sth America fruit, is it the Pouteria viridus? It is tempting as it is not so tall..  Some of the pouteria  seeds can be roasted.  

Lucuma is much taller, I thought.  No! No! No!   No more tall trees for me.  I did order a Mamey sapote from Steve and it's starting to lengthen a bit.  

Don't know anything about the Maprang.

Yeah Christa its the pouteria viridus, have you tried them?

They are amazing, along with mameys. My trees are grown from seeds of fruit I bought at Tropical fruit world.

The marang looks like a breadfruit/jackfruit cross, a guy called Robert Pulvereti has one fruiting down the gold coast.

The maprang that you mentioned is a plum mango- I had one but it got too cold and died. 

Found this youtube channel of california rare fruit growers. This particular one, the first tree gaubiju is one that i have grown from some seeds. I will keep one for you- it grows big, yes,yes,yes. They have some interesting garden visits cant believe I only recently found it.

https://youtu.be/c-CJEEQQkPI 

Great video, thanks for sharing. I have looked at the pages on the net about this club and read some of their newsletters.  They hold so much information, wish I could tap it all.   It doesn't grow that big, maybe a yes yes.  but since it's a relative of the jaboticaba, I would love a seed thank you.  

This is a copy of a page from a book I purchased "Fruits of Brazil" by Harry Lorenzi.

MYRTACEAE Myrcianthes pungens (O. Berg) D. Le-Sin .: Eugenia pungens O. Berg, Acreugenia pungens (O. Berg) Kausel guabiju, guabiroba-açu, guabiju-açu, guabiju- Semideciduous tree, 8-12 m  tall when in cultivation, endowed with a tortuous trunk and dense and pyramidal crown, native to the high-altitude semi-acid forests and basins of the Paraná and Uruguay rivers, from São Paulo to Rio Grande do Sul.  cartaceous, glabrous and discolor, 3-7 cm long, with a pungent spit (spinescent) apex.  Solitary flowers or in groups of 2-3, axillary, pedunculated, formed in October-November.  Globose fruits, velutinos, black-violet, with juicy pulp, sweet and pleasant flavor;  maturation occurs in January and February.  Uses.  It is a fruit tree widely grown in domestic poplars in the southern region of the country and often in its natural habitat.  The fruits are consumed mainly in natura and are highly appreciated;  they also provide excellent jam.  Propagation.  By seeds, producing better in regions with a mild climate, such as in the South. Of the country and in regions of altitude in the Southeast region.  It may take more than 8 years to bear fruit

Sorry about the quality of the photo.

I have a seedling with your name on it. I have wanted that book for a while. Its in this video if you want a laugh.

Watch "Flying Fox Fruit Freak Comes out at Night" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/KqQXK0AIkP8

Sometimes he acts so freakish but he does have excellent knowledge on growing the plants I would like to collect and grow.  Thanks again for the seedling,  I bought that book from a sth american book seller and the only ones left in print are written in Portuguese, so I got a translate app on my phone and it scans the page and translates.  You can borrow it if you like or just let me know what plant you need info on, and i can scan and send to you. 

Christa I am picking up some lucuma and a green sapote on Sunday week if he has any others I will grab one for you.

That will be great, if he has spares, I will pay for them when possible. Thanks.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service