Watch HERE:

Could our food be making us sick – very sick?
In the first of this two-part special, Dr Graham Phillips reveals new research about the interplay between food and the bacteria deep within our guts.

You need to be a member of brisbanelocalfood3 to add comments!

Join brisbanelocalfood3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

  • My Father used to say you've got to have some 'roughage' in your diet, & another saying from my past - 'a child's got to eat a peck of dirt,' thats 70 years ago. Sooo glad they are getting round to proving some of these forgoten things re diet.

    • My pop used to get me to eat charcole when he burned wood in the incinerator.  He reckoned it cleans your teeth, helps your gut and "made ye healthy lahdie."  It just tasted like ash to me.  LOL. 

  • Oh, and another little by-the-by.... many gardeners have an inkling of this with the health of our plants.  We're doing all we can to increase microbes and good bacteria in the soil.  

    • Everything you say is true. I would think most (thinking) urban farmers have made the connection between good healthy soil and good healthy tucker, leading to good healthy bodies.

      The breakthrough with the scientific community acknowledging the importance of fibre is a biggie (after all, unless it is proven by scientists then it's not true, right :/). People seem to want to remove fibre from nearly everything they eat for some obscure reason I've never fully understood. Peel it, remove the skin. Just eat the whole thing! the way nature intended.

      • I have a type of IBS that means I do much better without too much insoluble fibre in my diet. Basically I just try to avoid any "unnecessary" fibre such as brown rice and lentils and other legumes. That allows me to save my fibre intake for foods with lots of nutrients such as green veg. Whenever I hear scientists say "improved outcomes in 90% of patients," I think, what about the other 10%?

        • Do you use Psyllium fibre Rob? When I suffered a lot of IBS in the past the society recommended the psyllium and I used it in a drink each morning for years. It was a great help. Now I'm eating lots of fresh veg out of my garden I don't seem to need it anymore.

          • Or Chia? I find it very useful with lots of water for 'regularity'. It's very gentle and has the bonus of adding extra minerals to your diet. Doesn't taste like anything, grows well in the home garden although the commercial crop is grown on the Ord and makes great sprouts too.

            • Trouble is that I do best with less fibre, rather than more.

        • Good point. And the ones who say xxx increases your life-span by xxx% - how do they know when you'd be shuffling off? Or improves your chance of not getting a heart attack by xxx%. Were you going to get one anyway? Stats can be made to do anything if you're good enough at maths. 'Lies, damn lies and statistics' I believe the saying is.

      • I was forced onto a week of "low fibre diet" recently for medical tests.  I can't believe people choose to eat that way.... uggghhhh. 

This reply was deleted.