Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Well I succumbed to my favourite spice and purchased a cinammon tree from Daley's.  When we visited the place they had one in their covered area and it was a beautiful tree which can be kept smaller by coppicing.  It has a lovely flush of colour on the leaf and though it may be difficult to harvest the quills of bark, the leaves can be used for flavour and simply crushed and sniff to make you feel better.  Cinnamon is a spice I consume everyday.   It is harder to find the true fine cinnamon powder these days as most of it is not a true type and I noticed it when my mouth reacted to the other type, which is freely available.

Do any of our members have this tree growing and if so, any hints would be appreciated.

Below is a photo from the Daley's website.

Views: 2355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doing Olives: cut or crush the fruits slightly then put into saline. Change the water a number of times (take your pick, 7-10 days seems average). Then bottle with some Salt (I think!), Garlic, Oregano, Lemon slices and cover with olive oil and seal. Wait a week or two and try to not eat the lot in the next month ;-) There's a million recipes, all authentic from xyz but basically what I've said is the simplest way to do them. 

On sandy soil, west side but shaded by a deciduous tree. Well before I knew about wicking beds, just plunked the poor tree into a spot which looking back, must have been too dry, under a huge Albiza. I suspect it is fairly tropical - some plants are more flexible in their requirements than others. But growing well in Kyogle ... that is a surprise.

Wow. How exotic. I've never seen one growing myself - it's beautiful in the photo - and if the leaves can be used for cooking then it is worth having.

Hi Christa,
I'm just wondering how your cinnamon tree is going? I'm looking at getting one also.
As I've been researching cinnamon trees recently I came access this very informative video. For those not up on the different types of cinnamon, and the wide array of health benefits, it's certainly worth a viewing. I definitely learnt a lot.
https://youtu.be/aHy5XXy9HGs

What is the "untrue" type of cinnamon made from Christa?

Essentially cinnamon is divided into true cinnamon and casia cinnamon. The video I posted above explains things very well. Whilst all the varieties of cinnamon have essentially the same taste, true cinnamon (Cinnamomum Verum), is sweeter, and contains much lower levels of coumarin which can cause damage to the liver.
Apparently, the true cinnamon is much harder to source, and the type most commonly sold in shops is Indonesian cinnamon or, Cinnamomum Burmanni.
There apparently is a lot more to it, but that's me trying to put it in a "nutshell" from my recent learnings!

Matthew and Lisa,  My cinnamon plant is growing well so far, it's red coloured new leaves are very pretty.  I doubt that I will ever have any of the good effects of my tree in my lifetime, but it should grow into a good tree in the large pot that I have it growing in. 

The cinnamon that I purchased from that big american store near northlakes, was in a large container and when I had it some with my oats in the morning, it burnt the lining of my mouth, and I swore that I would find out why this happened.   It was not the same cinnamon I was used to.   As it was cheap and in a large container, it appealed to me.  Remember the old saying- good things come in little packages.

The americans like using cassia instead of true cinnamon.  As I am already on blood thinners, I must be careful with this type of product.   Since I was a child we only knew and used Dutch cinnamon which was from Ceylon.  My mother preferred to buy dutch quills and grate this into cinnamon.  It can also be purchased in a very fine powder.  It is much harder to buy fresh now.

Matthew I watched most of that video which was informative, but they did not specify which of the cinnamons were relevant in each case, which was a little confusing to me. 

C. verum (verum meaning true) and C. zeylanicum which I believe are the same type, are the ones I use daily with my food.    Cinnamon and raw Honey are lovely and nutritious together. 

Thanks Christa. So you don't think you'll ever be able to harvest any of the bark? Most places I've been reading, including Daleys fruit say that bark can be harvested in two years! I've also heard some people growing it to 3 metres in 2 years. I hope this is true. BTW where abouts in Brisbane are you located?

I know Cinnamomum Verum as 'Ceylon Cinnamon' -- and that's how I buy it from my spice merchant.

It's native to Sri Lanka.

My spice man sells the quills but points out that as a powder it is very fine and hard to process commercially because of that. He grinds all the spices he sells  so recommends purchasing the quills and grinding your own as he refuses to pre-grind Cinnamomum Verum.

It certainly makes a very fine powder. I find CV falls apart if you try to grate it.

Ceylon cinnamon is closely 'rolled' while other name varieties -- like the cassia -- are more open and the bark rolls are much harder.

I've been lax and haven't been imbibing for a couple of months. I drink it with cocoa.

I gather that There is no recommended dosing but  up to 6 grams daily seems to be safe.  6 grams of cinnamon is an awful lot –about 1 and ½ teaspoons.  If you like the taste of cinnamon, that may work for you, but for most studies, much less was used—usually about 1-3 grams, or less than 1 teaspoon.

Taking high curcumin turmeric as an example -- one third of a teaspoon three times per day. Why? Because Cinnamon is sure to have a limited half life. Turmeric is active for about 4-5 hours. I doubt that there's much risk of toxicity with Ceylon cinnamon but the thing is, any you take outside your therapeutic threshold is wasted effort

I  blend ground cinnamon with 100 % cocoa powder....and maybe top that with a little Golden Paste Turmeric. Gotta find a standard way to add a true chili hit...without having to waste a whole chili.

Maybe I should add chili powder to the cocoa?

As provenance goes this concoction makes one helluva health drink.

For diabetes who have a sweet tooth -- you can add some  Inulin.

Also: this is very useful -- How much Cinnamon is safe to take: LINK.

Take too much cinnamon and it can have side effects as we list here...Cinnamon Powder - 1.2 tsp. Per Day (6g/0.2oz). The easiest way to take. A maximum of 1.2 tsp. of Cinnamon powder per day for 5 days, followed by 2 days of rest.....Remember you should mix Cinnamon powder in food. Just swallowing it is corrosive on your stomach.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service