Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

For a while I have wanted to start to grow Gooseberries, memories of Boarding School and making Jams and Jellies with the Nuns during school holidays. I am looking for the "Old Fashioned" Plants or Cuttings, I am willing to pay. My day today has been spent on the Computer trying to find anyone who may have them for sale, but the only one I can find is Gooseberry - Captivator Ribes uva-crispa  .

You may have them growing or know of someone with an old fashioned garden who may have them growing. in the 1800's they were prized and there were many Gooseberry Clubs, growers guarded their Gooseberries like gold. They vied for the Big Prizes for the Biggest, Sweetest and Preserves made from their Berries. The growing of Gooseberries has waned over the years but I would love to revive the passion for growing these lovely juicy little bubbles of goodness. 

Views: 1801

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if you fine mesh to keep the beetles out wont that stop the bees from pollenating the flowers for fruit formation? - I only ask cause we have the same beetles and been trying all sorts of things to stop them without success ( even tried squashing the caterpilers and using in a spray )

I'm wondering, aren't they are in a similar family to tomato's and caps? If they are, won't their flowers be wind pollinated like they are?  I was concerned about netting my capsicums to protect from fruit fly but I had ample pollination rate under the net. 

Nightshade fruits and vegetables belong to the family of Solanaceae plants of the Solanum genus. This group includes Eggplants, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Chillies, Capsicums, Cape Gooseberries and many more - but Sweet Potatoes, Yams and other Gooseberries do not members of the Solanaceae Family

They are all self pollinating but a gentle shaking of the branches (wind) will increase pollination.

Yes the nightshade family get their pollination by vibration of the flowers, usually performed by the wind. I've seen a video where these were pollinated by using an electric toothbrush to vibrate the flowers.

Now that is something I would like to see. Some people are very inventive aren't they.

In commercial greenhouses, they use a vibrating wand really a larger version of the electric toothbrush.

Does this copy the sound of a bee or mosquitoes buzzing.

No it is just a vibration that helps release the pollen I believe, but it could copy the beating of an insects wings, which could do the same thing, but I think that most of the pollination is caused by the wind.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service