Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

After spending some time in Manila i came across some of these small limes called Calamansi the locals said they are easy to grow but Daleys calls them Calamondin and says that they go orange and are similar to cumquat ? anyone out there know where i can get the real thing ? or are the same thing (they are used in drinks and squeezed over food yum )

Cheers

Views: 3956

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Calamondin on Wikipedia is not the Calamansi I think you're referring to... To my knowledge, we (Singaporeans) buy the calamondin plant during Chinese New Year because we like the orange colour fruit it produces and it also has an auspicious name.. However the fruit is never palatable because they are forced to be orange in colour for that purpose...

Calamansi on the other hand, almost never turns orange in colour and are harvested when they are still small and green, and despite their small size, are extremely juicy and fragrant...

I too am looking for this plant without much success, as I tend to source for plants that i will eat....

Actually, the funny thing about Chinese New Year plants, we call them kumquat... Or loquat... But the terms are used loosely and interchangeably that I'm confused myself... :)

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service