Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I know on the surface, this does not look like a food growing topic - but it actually is.

I happen to distill my own base spirit, from sugar, water and yeast.  I've always assumed you make the base and then go and buy some flavour essence (a bit like not realising that vanilla essence is made from beans).  However, I am quickly discovering this is not true.  For example, Lemonchello is a wonderful use for excess lemons and tastes fantastic.  There are some wonderful old school skills that could be shared here. 

Anyways, before I continue the topic, I thought I might see if there was any interest.  If not, I'll shut up.  (Won't be in the least offended because I suspect this might be a kinda unique interest of mine.)

You can also do this by adding a (reasonably priced) bottle of vodka to homemade cordials.  

Um... anyone interested?  Don't need to feel sorry for the newbie - it's honestly fine if you're not.

Views: 1690

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Similar to the video on the iSpirits site that was posted here, but slightly different. I would like to see the process happening myself. Hands on person :)

I've emailed iSpirits to ask about the ingredients in their various products as I'm Coeliac (gluten allergic).

Space is my problem (along with lack of income at the moment lol).

How to have your peach (or plum or any stone fruit) and drink it too:

INGREDIENTS

Stone fruit of your choice.

METHOD

Eat the fruit.

Use a brush to remove as much of the fruit from the stone as possible. Don't worry, you don't have to be too particular.

Put the stone in a jar which seals well. Cover with vodka.

Place more stones in and add vodka until the jar is full but the stones are covered.

Leave for 40 days and 40 nights (yes, that is what the original recipe said.)

Drain the liquor off the stones and set aside. Discard the stones. I add them to my compost heap.

Weigh the liquor.

Weigh out the same amount of dry white wine and sugar.

Dissolve the sugar in the wine. Keep the heat low to avoid boiling off the alcohol in the wine.

Let the wine/sugar mixture cool.

When cool, add it to the liquor from the stones.

Leave for 40 days and 40 nights.

Enjoy.

NOTES:

1. Do not use stones which have opened as they could release Prussic acid into the liquor. Prussic acid (hydrogen cyanide) is a very dangerous poison. Don't worry, if the stones haven't opened to expose the kernel you won't have a problem.

2. Cheap vodka will do fine.

3. Cask or cleanskin wine will do fine.

I tend to use the flesh of the fruit and discard the stones.  I was worried about the cyanide issue, so it's good you cleared that up.  It also takes a lot less time using the flesh.  Thanks so much for chipping in with our second recipe!  (I'll count the rumotophs thingie as the first) Great stuff. 

wow, amazing

i was worried about the cyanide too

so this is why the wondering through the wilderness for 40 days and nights? - waiting for the alcohol to be ready? okay, am joking

i'd love to taste that (although i don't drink any alcohol these days - am being kind to my kidneys)

We started a group for this if you are interested.  Check the "groups" tab. 

Here is my iced peach tea liquor recipe.  

Into one big bottle put 500 grams of peach flesh (no need to peel but I took the stone out by cutting them in half).  Take the tea leaves from 2 tea bags - or use 2 teaspoons worth if you want to use a "fancy" tea.  Add 400 grams of sugar.  Add 1 liter of vodka or base.  Mix it well (I do it by shaking it so make sure the lid is firm!)  

Shove it in your pantry.  Each time you walk past, give the sucker a shake.  It'll be ready in 2 or 3 weeks.  Once you have enough flavour in it, add more sugar if you need to (yes, taste it with a tea spoon).  

Strain through a coffee filter (I stick it in the funnel) into the final bottles and treat with love.  I'm not eating that fruit by the way.  Theory says it should be okay, but it's too ugly and I am too scared.  

I'll put up a kumquat recipe where you can eat the kumquats as well in another post.  

Wow. I really must buy some vodka! Sooo easy.

Does the jar need to be airtight? I have some of those coffee jars, about 500ml each:

They be perfect Lissa.  It's better for steeping if they are not air-tight.  You are gunna need a third jar tho.

i made some cordials using fruit flavoured tea bags (after checking they were free of additives of any sort) - one was a peach and raspberry flavour, one was strawberry or similar - and they were delicious - everyone asked me how/where i made them. I also added some lemon zest and strained it out again, I think maybe some mint leaves too - I just added the tea bags (and the other bits)  to the hot syrup for several minutes and jiggled them about a bit. Just a thought that might be useful.

Why is everything delicious so full of kj :(

It is very useful.  I a simple syrup is also a quick way to break down the sugar and saves on all the shaking and stuff.   Much quicker, but I kinda dig on using the real fruit. 

Oh, and Lissa just taught me that you can add photos to a thread.  D'Oh!!!  Here is the Peach Iced Tea.  (Stop laughing at me, it's hard to be smart and pretty! LOL.)

Hmmm... I can see it is attached, but I can't see the photo.  I guess you'll need to click it. 

Attachments:

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service