9862684084?profile=RESIZE_400x

I just received this note from Lance Hill.

I found an old blog post of yours on chokos that mentioned Mirliton.Org. I wanted to tell you that we changed the name from plural to singular (no ‘s’ in the url) and that we have added a tremendous amount of new materials, including my “History of Chayote in North America” which argues that Louisiana and Australia both grow the same coastal variety. Also, we have the world’s largest collection of international chayote recipes.  I think the reliance on chokos during WWII alienated many Australians from this cucurbit, but perhaps they may find a new flavor profile on our site.

Given that you are also an artist, I will point out that mirlitons were used for decades in the U.S. as an ornamental. They do some beautiful things with landscapes.

Lance Hill

Mirliton.Org

https://www.mirliton.org/

You need to be a member of brisbanelocalfood3 to add comments!

Join brisbanelocalfood3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi David,

Are you harvest ckokos now? I thought we can only get chokos in Autum. 

• Indeed. I am drowning in chokoes. As a supply they are generous through most of the year. I did a Vietnamese soup last night with them but it lacked zing.

• I shared the recipe page link on the BLF facebook page as well.  Holy cow there's so many recipes!

• Wow.  Thanks for the link. 

It wasn't the fact that we ate too much choko.  It was the fact that our mother's only knew to boil the life out of everything.  And, our fathers were mostly too lazy too cook.  

The Manor is also trying to re-discover this much maligned veg.  My Rozie likes is baked.  I use it in curries.  It's pretty good if prepared with common sense.  I'll use the link to check out recipes.  

• I think this recipe changes the whole choko discussion: Braise Chayote with Ground Pork (although any meat mince will do). We have it with a fried egg on top. And we eat it very frequently.

Seriously, that recipe is awesome.

When it comes to stews and curries, I prefer Bottle Gourds ( aka New Guinea Bean, Gourds, etc)as they are textually more interesting and garner more flavour unto themselves. The Filipino trick of using fish sauce seems to make Choko zing.

I'm a great lover of squashes -- I find them very versatile. But I do have problems finding the best use of pumpkin. Then, most squash recipes are interchangeable --although pumpkin's sweetness sets it apart.

I think Choko belongs in dishes where they can have a fresh and semi crisp taste. Scrolling thru the list on the site I note the Vietnamese take on choko -- and I reckon that suits as Vietnamese food has a simple subtle taste experience to it -- such as with pho. Over flavoured, choko collapses --as in my various curry attempts.

As I've said before -- wee chokos make a great substitute for cucumbers in a salad.  Indeed they are crisper, especially in a complex, herb drenched, vinaigrette. And thery marry well with tomatoes.

Braised Chayote with Ground Pork
This reply was deleted.