As we're going away in a few weeks, leaving the garden for my son to look after, I thought I'd have a go at making some of my fruit tree pots into wicking pots. First I got some cake carriers from the Reject Shop, cut and poked various holes in them, and inserted a filling tube and some wicks. Added a jar of gravel to help support the top of the container.
Filled the reservoir, put it in the pot (needed a bigger pot of course, maybe it would've been easier to simply buy a large wicking pot, but they get a bit expensive, and I've got lots of pots around) and filled around it with gravel, then added the plant and mulched it. I'm happy with the result - hope it works, just have to do eight more! Could probably have used a shallower container for the reservoir, and I will look in a few op shops etc for some. Note the pretty mulch - some worn-out bamboo stakes put thru the mulcher.
Not sure why the last photo is bigger than the rest - didn't look that way when I was doing it.
Add a Comment