Matcha is 100% natural green tea leaves which have been carefully ground down to form a fine powder.
It has been drunk in Japan as part of the tea ceremony for almost 900 years, and is used by Buddhist monks to keep them alert, awake and focused during long days of meditation.
Until recently, virtually all matcha has been consumed within Japan, where it's particularly popular among students who are cramming for exams. But it’s now gaining popularity in the US, UK and Australia too and it can be found in cafes, health food shops and smoothie bars.
We like to think of matcha as a sort of superhero amongst teas, as it’s super-concentrated and packed full of the goodness we need to help keep us looking and feeling happy and healthy.
The tea leaves are grown under cover for the last two weeks of cultivation to produce lots of chlorophyll (the bright green good stuff).
- Super high in catechins antioxidant (137 X that of regular green tea)
- One serving of Herbal Tea Direct Matcha is equivalent to 10 glasses of regular green tea
- Raises energy levels, boosts metabolism, improves focus and clarity
They are then dried and slowly ground between two granite rocks to a very fine powder. This is then packed immediately vacuum sealer to lock in all the nutrients.
What makes Herbal Tea Direct Matcha so good?
There are lots of different types of green tea powders on the market, but not all of them have been harvested and produced in the same way or as fresh.
The tea itself
- HTD matcha grades: Matcha can be produced in different grades - We offer our regular grade, premium and ceremonial top notch matcha grade.
- Only the leaf is used: Some types of matcha contain the stems and veins, which can dilute the nutritional value and leave it tasting bitter. Our matcha has had the stems and veins rigorously removed - we like to stick to our guns when it comes to quality and flavour.
How it is produced
- Fresh: HTD matcha is freshly milled to order. Old matcha becomes dull and lifeless losing it's nutrients. We recommend consuming within 190 days. Most matcha on the market is older than this.
- Careful hand-picking: picked by hand by skilled workers ensures that only the young leaves and buds are used; this keeps the quality of matcha consistent.
- Granite stone grinding: HTD matcha is ground in the traditional method using granite stones in a controlled environment, to prevent nutrient loss. Some matchas use air pulverisation methods to grind it down, but all that friction can cause loss of nutrients.
- Laboratory tested: HTD matcha is put through lab testing to make sure it is perfect. We test everything from the particle size to the levels of nutrients, amino acids and catechins – so you know you're getting a great cup every time.
Herbal Tea Direct, with nature in every sip!