16 October 2015
October seems to be when I travel. I've been on a road trip out to Lightning Ridge for a week. Yes, of course I did a video. LOL.
Back to the yard. The fish survived again, but the water was really low and very dirty - same for the chickens. The grow bed was fine because I learned the "summer-proof with shade cloth" lesson from last year and made sure that was done last month. The girls must become cranky about their water because I'm down to 2 eggs a day compared to 4.
I'm still adding more "pot" style gardens. It allows me to maximise every inch of the yard. I can build them fairly quickly now days. Yep, I've also changed the watering system in the last few days. I think it will be an ongoing thing, to be honest. The four vertical beds mostly have just a few flowers because My Rozie's passionfruit over-ran them. I've had a lovely display of white roses over the arbor. If I'm lucky, there will be a few left for the garden visit.
Crops: I'm about to get cherry toms, lettuce, silverbeet, and gooseberries. The tiny lemonade, lemon and mandarin trees are beginning to fruit and I can see lots of other greens like Betel and sweet potato that will let me make heaps of pesto again. I froze Kumquats and Rob's Davidson's Plums and Mulberries to make more sparkling wines/beers from. That's been a new venture this year that is very successful.
The Yakon is coming back already. Still waiting for the Turmeric and Ginger. I hope they've survived.
I still see rats late at night but they are just raiding the grain off the floor of the chicken coop. I can live with that.
17 October 2014
I arrived home from France to be pleasantly surprised that the kids had managed to keep the tiny city farm entirely destruction free, which is no mean feat to be honest. The fish were alive, chooks still laying, garden not dead - Bobbie relatively untraumatised. WOW! However, what I did notice was that my aquaponics bed had mostly bolted, or been burned in the sun. Time to summer-proof!
First order of business was to put the shadecloth back up over the aquaponics. Thanks to the chook house, it is much easier nowdays. Remember, it has to remain a temporary structure so I can easily remove it in Autumn. Took all of 10 minutes. Not as cute as last year but perfectly functional.
Since I've also been adding more "pot style gardens", I have now also spent a fair bit of time extending the watering system. I had to get a lot more creative to make sure pots get watered as well as the gardens. If I had water in my rain tanks, I could actually test the damn things. LOL.
Talking of pots, I have two vertical pallet gardens now that I am testing during our summer heat. If they survive, I'll add two more. If they don't, then I will re-think that part of the garden. I included them in the watering system as well.
You know, what really annoys me about summer proofing is that I've done weeks of work. Some watering systems had to be broken into half, extras bits had to be added all over the place - and, you can't even see what I've done!!! Hopefully, it will reflect in the plant growth - otherwise, I might just concrete the bloody lot. LOL.
Add a Comment