Hi everyone. Well, I'll just let you know that my addictions got the better of me again. I'm WEAK I tell you. If I was addicted to a less socially acceptable substance, I would be in a pretty bad place right now :) That's right, I've been trawling Daley's website again and found two new purchaces to add. A jackfruit which has gone out where the Jaboticaba used to be near the banana's (I have pulled it up and put it in a pot where I'm hoping it will make a recovery) and a Malabar chestnut (saba nut). It too is in a pot with the intention of placing it in the ground sometime when I work out WHERE I have enough space for it.
New developments on new purchases from last year. I think just maybe, my Dwarf Wurtz avocado has set a fruit. What do you think? The tree itself is only tiny but this is one of 3 fruit that I think may have set from about a dozen flowers so even if it doesn't hold onto it, I think it's pretty promising for the future.
And my white Adriatic fig which I think I only bought this year (agian from Daley's) has 6 tiny figs on it!! AMAZING. I was going to pot it up into a large 60L pot but I'll wait until after those figs have finished developing now. Certainly going much better than the brown turkey fig I bought from bunnings!
In other fruiting news, the mulberries are all but finished now, just in time for my first nectarines from the multigraft nectarine/peach. It works quite well on this tree as just as the nectarines are finishing, the peaches start to ripen so I have stone fruit until end of November. I ate one this morning that was still a little underripe but I just had to "test" them. By next week, they'll definitely be ready to start picking. I thinned excess fruit this year. You can certainly see the size difference between thinned and unthinned on the branches I missed.
I was starting to get real worried that I wasn't going to get any Lychees this year. While I had lots of flower spikes, they weren't setting fruit. I had been a bit slack with the watering regime so the last 2 weeks, it has been getting a load of washing machine rinsing water on Saturday and tuesday (washing days :) and it seems to have done the trick. You'll see the difference below between the flowerspikes that have set (right) and those that haven't (left). Each one of those little bulges should develop a lychee. I also find that you absolutely MUST spray at least twice around flower development/bud burst with mancozeb + miticide or you lose everything to Erinose mites. I did mine a third time when I started watering as I noticed some of the flowers and new growth were all velvety.
First of my grape flower buds are coming on. This is from NOBLE grape, a muscadine variety that is supposed to do well in subtropics. I also have muscadine adonis, then 2 table grapes at the front.
In vegie news - YAY. My zucchini's are powering along. I took 4 into work the other day and between the 3 plants, have another 5 that will be ready in a day or so and 2 in the fridge. We eat a lot of zucchini - it goes in spag bol, quiche, stirfry, curry, cakes, cheesy scrolls and when I have so many big ones that I need a break, I start breaking off the developing flowers, stuff with ricotta, batter them and deep fry. The kids and I LOVE them.
Cucumbers, which were planted at the same time, are not so advanced but I think I have my first one developing. BTW I hand pollinate all of these (and the zucch's)
Toms are just about ready too. I've had the odd ripe one.
Finally, I'll leave you with a picture of the first poppy I have ever managed to grow. I'm going to keep seeds from this and spread them everywhere next april - the guy on Mt Tambourine who had the most amazing display of poppies assured me that's the best time to plant and they mostly come up from self seeds in his garden. Be warned those of you with chickens - THEY LOVE THEM. My chooks would reach their heads through the chicken wire to get at them so I only ended up with 2 plants surviving.
Add a Comment