Since I haven't explained this DIY before, this is the rig I use to ferment vegetables. Now on display for the very first time.
- EasiYo Yogurt Maker: cheap and readily available flasks from Op shops(cheap) and supermarkets. I reckon they make great crocks.
- Pack in your prepped vegetables and ram them down to encourage sweating.
- Covered the top of your veg with a blanket of edible leaves. Choko leaves work well.
- Add the stopper and push down on the covered veg.
- Add water to a ziplock bag and seal. Place bag on top of the stopper to act as a weight.
- Place a lid on the flask and set aside for scheduled ferment period.
- If the ferment produces a lot of liquid you may want to place a tray underneath the flask to capture the liquid over flow.
I have 10 EasiYo flasks and they are kept busy.
The 'model' for the session was outback harvested turnips, fermented with salt and black pepper.
Turnip Kraut is called Sauerrüben.