During the last 3 weeks we've been trying to prepare for spring plantings (where's spring? It's summer!) - we got heaps of green mulch from our tree trimmings, and Derek built a compost/soil bin, where he put in mushroom compost, cow manure, some bought soil, and the green mulch - he's experimenting with a homemade compost activator, and to his delight, it seems to be hastening the process of composting, and we now have lovely black "soil" ready to enrich the vege beds.
Today I bandicooted from the potatoes planted about 6 weeks ago (supermarket ones) and pulled out one pontiac, could feel lots of little ones, so we may have a success story here!
Another happy story - the "sick" dwarf lemon has come to life! We got it out of the pot, did a bit of root prune, and put lots of manured compost in the bottom of the pot, and put the lemon back, filling up with more compost. It's been fed constantly with liquid worm castings and the leaves have grown back, and there're heaps of flowers!
There's lots of work in the next week, as I want to get the cucumber, bitter gourd and snake beans going. Still trying to decide whether to sow direct, or plant the seeds in small containers and transplant...
Add a Comment