This weekend, I:
- Switched on the solar system that I made for the aquaponics. It's been 48 hours and it's still running even with very little sun. I took the heater off to save on power - tank is still at 18.5 degrees at 5.00 pm. I think she is now off-grid. Made a video on it and posted it around the place.
- Fixed the worm farm after the chooks destroyed the "worm wee" tray.
- Threw what was left of the Kratky boxes in the bin. Damn chooks.
- Made a light fence to keep the chooks away from the worm farm and compost corner!
- Clipped the chooks wings (just to be sure).
- Changed the sprinkler system on the "building site" garden so it can be watered either from the tanks or from "city water." It's also a lot more effective because I can divide that line into two, depending on what's dry.
- Made 3 wheels of blue cheese.
- Made smoked tomato compote from my home grown toms. (Have enough to give a bottle to my aged mum.)
- Started work on a bird feeder from recycled material. Exploring this kind of thing as a potential income. Yes, I did go "skip diving" for waste corrigated iron.
- Hung a vertical garden I had laying around. Will fill and plant it tomorrow.
- Chores: cleaned the aquaponics filters (waste goes into compost tea), fertilised the fruit trees in the planters with said compost tea. Pulled the last of the aquaponic carrots and turnips - really poor harvest but the chooks loved the green material. Cleaned and steralized a bunch of bottles for canning and liquors.
- Noticed a few button mushrooms are sprouting. You need to water the heck out of them. Gentle mist only is rubbish.
- On a similar note, I threw my golden oyster stock into the compost because I thought it was mouldy. Um... no Andy - that's good oyster mycilium! I am now watering that compost bin on a daily basis. (*face palm*)
Jeez, I'd better get cracking tomorrow.