Well, like Roger said, it has been far too hot to do anything much in the garden so with the weather finally cooling down some, and me being on holidays, it is now time for some serious jobs to get done.
1. Repotting the strawberry runners. Man, this is one long and tedious job. Left it a little late as not enough air flow in the pots that I was setting runners into and they were suffering from aphids. 13 pots with 2 in each are now back on the fence line. At the same time, I planted out the finger lime into the ground where it will hopefully do a lot better.
2. Plant my figs into the ground. I'm done with pots for large things. Just too difficult to move around and replace potting mix. With the death of the persimmon (3rd one - may have to give up on those) and the removal of an apple tree (not a dwarf and with the drama's with netting my supposedly "dwarf" one last year, I needed it gone) there was a space for my brown turkey and white adriatic. I nearly cried though - had to cut off 10 figs from the adriatic but I couldn't wait any longer as school holidays are the only times when I can do these big jobs.
3. Finally removed the rose archway. It had been bugging me for years. I loved it but it was simply too vigorous and not suitable for my tiny yard. One of the trellis's had rotted out as well so that got removed too. This is what my walkway looks like now
This is what it looked like at it's best previously so you can see why I loved it.
4. Got hubby onto the task of digging up the lady finger banana's to prepare the site for my dwarf duccasse that I bought last month at the Ipswich garden show. It was a banana massacre in my yard today. The goldfingers are staying - you can see the bunch on the right if you look carefully.
5. Built a new garden bed under the clothes line. I'm putting in partial shade lovers. I might try my hand at tuberous begonia's. Some in bunnings looked stunning today. I also just planted freesia bulbs and primula.
Well that's about it from me. Not that much coming out of the garden - capsicums (still), cucumbers, eggplants, guava, lettuce, passionfruit, shallot's and pawpaws. I planted a whole bunch of seeds but went away last week and came back to a bed full of dead things. Also, the peas and beans are not doing great - anyone have suggestions?
Add a Comment