Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Views: 115

You need to be a member of Brisbane Local Food to add comments!

Join Brisbane Local Food

Comment by Christa on November 17, 2016 at 9:05

Thanks for that info Michael,  do you have them in pots. the Red one, is that an old one?

Comment by Michael Hoff on November 17, 2016 at 8:54

I have Black Genoa which is what you get in the shops and fruits very well. White Genoa which doesn't fruit as well as the black, but taste nice. White Adriatic, Brown Turkey, Red Deana and Preston Prolific are all good.

Best time for cuttings is winter.

Comment by Christa on November 16, 2016 at 18:48

Thanks Elaine, Daleys have 2 more varieties that can grow in sub tropics, but I would prefer to hear from our members about what they find grows well.   My failures were green and white Ischia.

Comment by Elaine de Saxe on November 16, 2016 at 18:36

Christa I'd get my taking cuttings advice from Michael who is successful with cuttings where I am not. I have only Black Genoa, Brown Turkey, White Adriatic and Prestons Prolific. They do well as you know and I have never grown any others nor even heard of them although I know there are many varieties growing in Australia.

Comment by Christa on November 16, 2016 at 18:13

Elaine, how many varieties do you feel suit our area here.  I know Black Genoa, Black Mission, Brown Turkey and White Adriatic, Prestons Prolific and Excel, seem to grow in this region. Do you have any others.   Black Mission is fruiting now, and the remaining appear to fruit around Feb, Mar, Apr.

When would be the best time to take cuttings?   After fruiting or during winter?

Michael you have 6 varieties, which should give you a good supply soon.

Comment by Elaine de Saxe on November 16, 2016 at 11:10

Three of the four are fruiting and I expect the fourth is late-season so hoping for a full house.

Comment by Michael Hoff on November 16, 2016 at 11:03

I got hardly any figs last season, but this season all 6 varieties have fruit.

Comment by CHERYL SLAPP on November 16, 2016 at 8:34

Bad luck Ian doesn't like them but great for you.  Wish mine would give me fruit

Comment by Andrew Cumberland on November 16, 2016 at 7:38

LOL about Ian.  My damn fig never produces.

Comment by Christa on November 15, 2016 at 21:44

Delicious and sweet. It is the Black Mission variety.  Fortunately, Ian doesn't like them.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link