Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Whether you grow your herbs in Pots or In the Ground, I hope you find this little list helpful to you. I grow most of my Herbs in a Semi Shaded position in Summer as I have found our Sun is very hard on them. Because I grow in Pots I am able to move any of my pots into a warmer spot throughout the coolest parts of the year.

Herbs like to be kept Tip Pruned using a clean pair of shears. By doing this you will have nice bushy plants, and will be able to use the clipping for your cooking. You will generally know when it is time for your Herbs to Flower, I let mine flower as the Bees, Native Bees and Beneficial Insects love to come visit, after flowering you will then be able to collect the seeds for Drying, Saving and Planting. After flowering I then cut back but not too much as you will run the risk of them dying.  I like to use Worm Juice on my Herbs as well as a half strength Eco Fertilizer every fortnight. 

SUMMER

North Qld: Herbs - basil, coriander, mint and tarragon. Fruit and vegetables - beetroot, capsicum, spring onion, tomato, pumpkin, lettuce, cucumber, celery, cauliflower.

SE Qld and NNSW: Herbs - basil, coriander, lemongrass, mint, parsley and tarragon. Fruit and vegetables - artichoke, beans, capsicum, cucumber, eggplant, melons, lettuce, silverbeet, tomato, sweet potato and spring onion.

WINTER

North Qld: Herbs - dill, garlic, mint, thyme, sage and parsley. Fruit and vegetables - broccoli, carrot, capsicum, cabbage, lettuce, pumpkin, radish, spinach and rhubarb.SE Qld and

NNSW: Herbs - garlic bulbs, mint, oregano, parsley, sage and thyme. Fruit and vegetables - spinach, silverbeet, lettuce and cabbage.

AUTUMN

North Qld: Herbs - basil, coriander, garlic, parsley and chives. Fruit and vegetables - beans, beetroot, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, melons, lettuce, potato, pumpkin, tomato and zucchini.

SE Qld and NNSW: Herbs - coriander, fennel, oregano, parsley, rocket, sage and rosemary. Fruit and vegetables - broad beans, broccoli, onion, peas, spring onion, spinach and turnip.

SPRING

North Qld: Herbs - chilli, chives, ginger, mint, parsley and basil. Fruit and vegetables - beetroot, capsicum, corn, cucumber, eggplant, spinach, sweet potato, pumpkin, watermelon and zucchini.

SE Qld and NNSW: Herbs - basil, dill, mint, parsley and sage. Fruit and vegetables - cucumber, beetroot, carrot, Chinese cabbage, tomato, eggplant, pumpkin, radish, silverbeet, sweet corn, capsicum, carrot and watermelon.

Views: 69

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Dianne. Worthy of download to print and refer to.

Thanks so Much Elaine, I appreciate your comments. Long time since we have seen you both, out and about, hope you are both keeping well.

Love a reminder on what to grow when, especially when it comes to herbs and some veggies.  We seem to grow the same things each year.   I must try to grow a kitchen window basket with herbs etc.  Thanks Dianne. 

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service