Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

A few weeks ago, I purchased a new trough container as an ode? to the new group. I filled it (overcrowded style) with some seedlings I grew many weeks beforehand (I had given up on using the seedlings due to the dry).

The container's looking good, but I'm unsure of what the plant in the front left hand corner is. There others are red, orange and black eggplant, Brazilian spinach (straight from a cutting off the main) and bortoli bean.

Views: 277

Replies to This Discussion

Here's some nice half size capsicums that are going well in another container. The plant itself has just started to show signs of deficiencies, but it's competing with other plants.

Capsies are as they say in the Nursery trade: gross feeders. They like lots of everything.

Dang that's the one I wanted to know about! Apart from being a legume, nothing is jelling. Imparipinnate (the single terminal leaflet) with reducing size of leaflets similar to African Tulip.

Are these wicking bins Rob? What were they in real life?

I actually did not appreciate how gross the Capsicums fed until now Elaine. I've added my first sprinkle of volcanic rock dust to that container as a scattergun approach.

They are large(er) trough containers, with the dimensions of 800L x 390W x 340H. Two out of the three containers have bottom saucers.

I find the white colour good, as they don't seem to heat up as much as darker colours (they are in full sun).

I think I got the seeds for the mystery plant from Fair Dinkum seeds, so I'm running back through last year's order to try identification.

Amla? Though not a legume the leaves resemble them.

An AMLA is a much finer leaf, Elaine, I have one growing in a wicking pot.

I am wondering if the plant is a solanum. I had purchased seeds described as a type of mini pepino, but I cannot seem to find the item any longer. I did have tags on the seedlings, but my daughters relocated the tags into the garden for me. It is taking root where the stem is in contact with soil like solanums do well.

Identified! ---- solanum caripense

Looks interesting Rob SOLANUM CARIPENSE or Pepino Berry.

Solanum caripense is a species of evergreen shrub native to South America and grown for its edible fruit. Rare in cultivation, it is known as tzimbalo.

A very rare fruit that is quite similar to the pepino, but having round fruits growing to a bit over 1" wide. Like the pepino, the fruits are cream colored, with prominent purple stripes. Flavor is melon like, with some sour and tart overtones.

Your capsicum are incredible Rob. I've had some success this season with mini ones but have never managed to grow any decent full sized ones. The dreaded FF have discovered that I grow them too.

Your Capsicums look wonderful Rob, I find along with Tomatoes and Chilies, that I do best with mine in pots rather than the open ground, except for Perennial Capsicums which seem to grow anywhere.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service