Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

, Container GrowingI have 6 lovely Artichokes that I have to plant out. I have been growing them on since babies and they have been transferred into bigger pots but now need to be planted where I want them to grow into beautiful Fruits for the Dinner Plate.

I would like to plant them into 35ltr Grow Bags in a Potting Mix, Compost and Manure Mixture, with a few Coffee Grounds thrown in. Has anyone grown them in pots or bags and how successful was it?

Views: 129

Replies to This Discussion

I've grown Cardoon successfully in my raised beds some years back. I have two Artichokes growing in the raised beds at the moment. Grow bags should be fine - give it a go and find out! Grow bags would make them portable.

An update on my Artichokes - I planted out my plants that I have raised since babies. I planted them into 6 x 35Ltr Grow Bags. I am happy to say they are doing very well and with water, sunshine and a lot of love I am sure they will provide some lovely fruit.

I have also planted a lot more Vegetables into Grow Bags. Mini Cauliflower, Mini Cabbage, Rainbow Chard, Rhubarb and a few Root Vegetables.

SIP's (Sub Irrigated Planters)

These are designed and built by me, 25 gal HDPE tubs that held livestock feed supplements. Get them from the ranchers for free. They have a 6 gal. Wick watering system built into the bottom of each, and NO ROCKS.

There are 8 planting holes in the sidewalls and the top can grow additional plants.

The picture shows 3 tubs hooked together, with a 1/2" float valve bucket, so the water is at a constant level in the reservoirs 24/7/365

Most of the materials I try to use are Re-Cycled, but what I have to buy is very reasonable costs.

Also make these from 5 gal buckets with 4 vertical sidewall planting holes, plus plant 1-3 plants in the top.

I also make a Wicking Bed, but my design has a water reservoir with "NO ROCKS" needed. A 4' x 8' x 12" bed can be hauled with the growing media in the back of a 1/2 ton truck. 4 people can set it up in less than an hour, ready to be planted.

This design can also be elevated above the ground for the use by the elderly, or a person in a wheelchair to roll along side.

Attachments:

Some of us on BLF are right into wicking beds/bins whatever-you-want-to-call-them. They range in complexity to the downright simple. If you search on 'wicking beds' on this Forum, you should find a lot of posts and pictures. There is a wicking bed group as well.

For some of us with sloping ground (e.g. me) and close trees (ditto) and to tide over the dry times, the wicking principle has saved us not only water, but sanity. Without them I could not garden here.

My Grow Bags have proved to be very successful. But your idea looks amazing, if I wasn't such an old fashioned gardener, your ideas look like something I would look at but my garden is 40yrs old and very established. I am sure many of our other members would love to see your ideas. A good place to put them would be in the Container or Wicking bed entries. So pleased to see you have passed your love of gardening on to your granddaughter.

What size grow bags do you use, Dianne.  Are they the plastic type?  The ones I used seemed to dry out too quick, which might make them suitable for my rosebud geraniums and also some rosemary and lavender plants.  

For the Artichokes I used 35kg bags. Mine don't tend to dry out much as I am using my home made mulch, a little Coffee Grounds and a some Searles Vegetable & Herbs Mix and Tim's Aged Manure/Compost on top. I usually only need to water once a week.

I would love some Rosebud Geraniums cutting some time if possible.

An update on this discussion - My Artichoke Plants have grown very successfully during the long hot, dry Summer, I did have to keep the water up to them. They have grown into Strong Healthy Plants that have produced Artichokes and are now growing beautiful big pups and come Spring I will need to divide them up a little, providing I can now get them through Winter.

Remembering they are growing in Grow Bags - I am needing the space so I am intending to move them very soon to a shadier, cooler spot and am hoping there may be someone who can tell me - Do you think if I move them to this kind of situation, will I be setting them back. If anyone is interesting in a pup let me know and I will bring them to the closest Garden Visit in Spring.

So they are perennial Dianne? You mention producing pups and dividing them. None of mine ever did that. Never had much success with actual Artichokes. Had better luck with Cardoon which I found very useful as the leaf stems were edible.

Erm, going on Lissa's question - which Artichokes? Jerusalem or Globe?

Yes they are perennial Globe Artichokes and most of the time do grow pups. There is a photo of mine in the PHOTO section. I will have to get Graham to take a photo with the pups. A couple of weeks ago on Gardening Australia the presenter was at a home where they dug up very large Globe Artichokes to be broken up into smaller plants - You can see it on Gardening Australia Series 28 Ep 5 if anyone would like to watch it.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service