Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

In the grounds of the Palace at Versailles in France lies one of Maree Antoinette's greatest follies, but yet finest creations.  She had built a fully working "play farm."  The buildings were truly beautiful and modelled on real working buildings, although often inside was placed pool rooms and the like.  

Which is not to say they were not also practical, with gardens full of vege (I think these are artichokes): 

Here we have a building modelled on a mill (note the water wheel): 

Yes, it also reveals that I was so entranced that I stayed until sunset.  

"But there is no water," I hear you say. Not true! and it was teeming with livestock. 

Here is another of the mock houses: 

And another: 

The fields were jammed with produce: 

Yet more: 

There was the odd building that appeared just to be decorative (she used this as a mini-gallery, I believe): 

A vineyard: 

The last farm (including the above vineyard) was very much a work place; 

Which included bunnies and chooks:

Goats: 

And donkeys: 

Maree is the subject of much derision.  But you have to admit, that woman had taste!

Views: 94

Replies to This Discussion

Lovely. Oh, to have the money to indulge your fancies like that. I also feel sorry for her that she had so much empty time that she had to indulge her fancies like that! All pretend. Beautiful buildings though.

Amazing place! Galling for the workmen who made the buildings bet they are way better than any houses they lived in.

Oh Andrew, I can but dream, I long to get back to France after seeing your photographs, even more. The photos are simply stunning, you really captured the spirit and that special essence that is Old 'France'. Yes they do look like Artichokes above, I love a practical garden. Thanks for sharing.

I have to admit, I could still happily move into any of those buildings tomorrow. 

They just showed this on Better homes and gardens tonight!

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service