Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Firstly thank you so much to Sophie and Franke for opening up their home and garden to us.

It was a beautiful Autumn day with the sun shining and not an angry cloud in the sky.

We all thoroughly enjoyed Sophie's talk and demonstration of the Slap and Fold method of preparing her dough for turning into yummy bread which we were lucky enough to eat as part of the Morning Tea. Bekki and Paul, 2 of our new members brought along some lovely crackers they had made with a lovely dip, loved the Pecan Biscuits as well (would like the recipe for those). Susan's Lemon Tea Cake was a hit and you will find her recipe on the site.

Sophie's garden has grown since our last visit and you will see from the photos just what she has been doing.

We get them into the garden when they are young......

I would like to thank our members who attended as you know without you there would be no GV's to visit. We were pleased to also welcome Nikki and Ian a couple more of our new members. I do hope I have everyone's name correct and the spelling. I know a lot of our regular GV members would have been here but it was a busy week end and I know a lot of you had other commitments, hope to see you at the next GV at Ann's on Saturday 23rd of June. 

More Photos will be added by other members...

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Dianne.   I found it a REALLY pleasant visit.  It was a big enough group to be interesting but not so much as to be overwhelming.  Thanks Sophie for your bread demo - I quite liked the "slap and tickle" kneading method.  I'm going to try it on my next loaf instead of belting the hell out of it. 

Garden looks great, one day I will get to see it in person - you are a very talented person.  I had planned on attending but the flu axed that idea.  

Thanks Sophie for hosting the GV, it was nice to meet new visitors and to put faces to names.  We had a great time Dianne, and a big THANK YOU to Roger and Susan and yourself for donating those Fig cuttings, I am sure if we get them to grow then we have saved hundreds of dollars.  We came home with mushroom cuttings and vietnamese mint and a little pink flowering plant and a land watercress plant, thanks to Matthew.  After arrival, I tried to stay away from the food (on diet) but was tempted with Wensleydale Cheese and walnut bickies and the last piece of lemon curd teacake.  

The demonstration of slap and fold, a French technique for bread kneading was interesting to everyone there.  There are a couple of utubes of this method on net, one is with Baker Birtenet.

Everything is planted and labelled and I hope I do well with them.

If you are reading the comments here Becky, I would love your Recipe for your Pecan Bikkies, they were Yummy.

RSS

Support Brisbane Local Food

Please support our Brisbane Local Food community.  Donations can be made directly to Andy's paypal account.  These are in Australian dollars.  Donations of $5 and above will be gratefully received and used only to pay for BLF web-hosting.  A donation of $25 will pay to host the site for a calendar month!

Donate to BLF on this link

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

© 2018   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service