Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

After a chat with Lissa, I thought I would do a test post, highlighting a garden visit from overseas.  This particular garden was in the grounds of a mansion called Musee Carnavalet. The location is right in the middle of Paris city - so there is really very little land available. Musee Carnavalet is being restored and used as an art museum, with its entry still free.  It was very impressive in a lot of ways, but I'll try to stick to the limited gardens - which is why we are all here. 

The buildings were of course extremely impressive and the gardens quite formal (as was/is the habit amongst those with money).  You can see standardised roses and tiny manicured hedges planted to form ornate patterns in the centre of the shot. 

What I really enjoyed about this opulent display of wealth from times past was the fact that the garden never lost touch with its practical roots. 

Tomatoes, kale and silverbeet were included!  Many of us have those planted in our own mansions here in Oz!   Hmmm... Musee McDowall does have a certain ring about it!

Continuing the theme, we see cabbage and tomatoes in another of the beds - and of course, let's not avoid the flowers to bring the bees.  Or was it - let's include some veges amongst our flowers?  Remember, the mainstay of the gardens are the tiny patterned hedges.  

So, what would we choose as the highlight plant - the perfect combination of vege and flower?  Too easy - artichoke!

So folks - feel free to let me know what you think.  Is there a place for garden visits outside our group?  Should it be a forum entry rather than in the garden group?  Does it wet your appitite for a group of us (big or small) to maybe travel futher afield?  

Views: 172

Replies to This Discussion

Hey - it looks almost as good as McDowall Manor, Tiny City Farm !  LOL. 

I agree with Lissa.  I can actually transport 6 north siders there (provided they can climb into my stoopid tall van).

Mark Valancia just posted a video on growing globe artichokes.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZLe9PoKDik

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service