Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

SPECIAL EVENT - NORTHEY STREET CITY FARM ORGANIC MARKETS AND NURSERY

What a beautiful day. We were first met by Simon who had so kindly put out cones on the road to save some parking spaces for the old and decrepit. No honestly it was very kind of him, we were all introduced to Simon and he had a chat to us about what we are growing and a little about Northey Street City Farm which has been going now for 15 years.

We decided to have a walk before breakfast, bypassing the Nursery, until we were ready to go home.There were all manner of stalls Fruit & Vegetables, Honey & Byproducts, Massage, A Salt Trader where I was able to buy some Black Salt that I needed for a recipe yesterday (so now can make the recipe), Turkey Seller (bought up big there), Coffee Merchants, Food Stalls and Much More. Remember these people selling are either Organic and depending upon which level of Organic can sometimes be seen reflected in the prices. It is an expensive process to become totally Organic and the process can take up to 4 years as the soil in which you were growing previously is said to take that long for any chemical residue to dissipate.  

We thoroughly enjoyed our walk around and then it was to breakfast we go...We were able to get tables, push them together, sit down under a wonderful old Mango Tree for a bit of a rest and then order our breakfast. The Menu was varied from Savory Mince on Dark Rye to Mixed Berry French with Cream (Yum). Surprise Surprise the boys washed the dishes, this part of how they keep the costs down. After Breakfast we headed for the Nursery where we were able to purchase a few things we had been looking for.

We then ventured off to the very well laid out Community Gardens, most of them planted under white shadecloth with stakes or pipe keeping it there. There was a food forest of vegetables growing - Leafy Greens, Tomatoes and the usual Winter crops. 

There were Chooks in a pen out front being admired by many people and children.

The Boss

The Boss and Some Friends

Then it was time to venture home after all admitting what a wonderful day we had, had.

Views: 93

Replies to This Discussion

Glad you guys enjoyed Northey Street.  When I am feeling energetic I go for a walk down there and have a sticky beak at what they have growing, it can be very impressive depending on the season.  Parking on market days can be impossible so you were very lucky that Simon put out the cones for you.

Thanks so much for organising that Dianne.  The weather was better than I expected as well.  

What was purchased at the nursery.

Well Jeff, I only purchased a punnet of Dill and one of Coriander, not sure what everyone else bought. They did have a good supply of seedlings and A Lot of Bush Tucker Plants and Shrubs.

We really enjoyed ourselves at the Northey St GV., it has been a few years since we have been there and it was busy but still comfortable to walk around.  Plenty of fancy puppies and unusual looking choice dogs.   Plenty of stalls from different types of massage and healing to veggies with a broad array of food and also oils and liniments candles honey and spices and nuts. 

We had a lovely brunch and I had sourdough french toast covered in berries and cream and maple syrup, yum. We were entertained by a flute player. 

Afterwards we visited the nursery that belongs to Northey street and they had a good choice of plants for the garden and also the fertilizers and seeds from Green Harvest.  The plant prices had gone up a bit since be were there a few years ago but that is what happens everywhere.   Helpful friendly people everywhere and a big thank you to Simon who made such a difference to us wobbly walkers, by keeping a close parking spot for 2 of us.  

Thanks Dianne for organizing the do, and also to the members for your company. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2019   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service