Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Thank-you very much Christa for this report on GayleD's Garden Visit, and Graham for the photos.

Gayle and her husband were most gracious in allowing us to have our first Garden Visit of the year at their place.   They have now been enclosed by neighbours and the flooding problems seem to have been alleviated. 

This visit is the first time Ian and I (Christa) have seen her pool area with a floor over it, what an ingenious decision to make.  A huge water tank for the dry times, which is a bonus. 

The garden has lovely rooms where one can sit and look and listen to birds and watch the plants grow.  Something which may interest some of our gardeners.   It is a bush like garden where natives and food plants and perennial flowers are mixed together and doing well.  Little Violet groundcovers grow happily throughout the pavers and the boundary fences have numerous wall garden pots with abundant mixed plants. 

The narrow side of the house has a pathway laced with bamboo plants and one that took my fancy, a black stem bamboo, which was very ornamental.  There are bird baths, bee waterers and water features for birds and ponds for fish.  The ground has worm bins for house scraps in different locations.   

Since the removal of the old shed, Gayle has seen some space, which I am sure will change soon.  We saw so many different plants, grape vines, pigeon pea, citrus, some rare fern, Japanese chrysanthemum, lovely cosmos, and so much more.   Beautiful Prostrate Grevillea, and a verge that suited the postie delivering his mail.  

I am sure many of you can add more of your visions of Gayles garden.   We met some new friends although some appeared incognito.   The communal chat took place with a lovely brewed coffee and cuppa tea and cheese and muffins and Rozies chocolate slice.  We discussed what gardeners often talk about, bees and bee boxes and what we like to grow.

We had a raffle to help support the running of the website, so that others can learn and read our pages. Guess who won first choice of 3 donated prizes, and guess who had no trouble choosing a lovely bee hotel donated by Valerie, second choice was a terranium with miniature plants and third choice was a Cavendish Banana pot plant donated by Andy.

Please add any of your photos that you may have taken.  Thanks again to our wonderful hosts.

Inspecting the Worm Farm

Worm Towers are situated around the Gardens to collect garden and kitchen waste.

Lush Greenery and a very Productive Lemon grow happily alongside Natives. 

Herbs grow happily among Native Violets and many assorted plants.

On the Verge.

Views: 121

Replies to This Discussion

We had a lovely morning at GayleD's GV. The weather was perfect for a gathering of friends. We had a good turn out of new and old friends. Thank you to our hosts for once again hosting a most successful GV.

The garden is looking wonderful, with many changes being made since our last visit. The garden shed at the back being removed has given Gayle more room to build even more creative growing areas, and although newly planted is coming along beautifully. 

Thank You to all our members for providing a wonderful Morning Tea. 

As we don't have a GV for February there will be a Visit and Lunch at Wild Canary, Garden Centre, please click on the link here to register your intent to attend - LINK

I look forward to seeing a few of you on the day. Better leave the Credit Card at home.

We am still looking for Members Garden to visit in 2019, please check the GARDEN VISITS CALENDAR  http://brisbanelocalfood.ning.com/group/garden-visits/page/2019-gar...  for the available months for GV's. If you would like to host a GV please contact me through your BLF Inbox or text me on 0407691485 and I will slot you into your chosen date. 

Can someone tell me what this plant from the swap table is please?  

It’s Kankong, edible water / wet feet plant.

What Sid said below.  It is one of the very nice spinach/lettuce alternatives. 

I have made the new banner featuring this visit.... but I broke the internet and stuff. 

Andy the light colour of some of the text is a challenge (for me as an old duffer) to read. For whatever reason, the screen shot comes out HUGE but you can see what I mean above; names etc are in pale grey.

Yeah, for me too... don't feel old.  I'll have a crack at changing it but jeez... I wish they'd hurry up and fix the problem. 

My pix.

Pix and Banner look great Andy.

Thanks Dianne.  

They do! BUT the light grey text is still tricky to read. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2019   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service