Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Let's cut to the chase!  What a lot of us were interested in was - can you seriously convert an inground pool into a huge underground tank?  Here is the before and after - 2016 at the top (with James doing the Timewarp) to today at the bottom.

It is now a very useable space that doubles as an amazing water storage.  Here's the secured access point and a quick look inside. 

On arrival, we saw the very neighbour-friendly footpath garden. 

The larger productive side of the patch: 

The smaller more ornamental side; 

The rear of the yard and giveaway table: 

Gayle has an amazing ability to reuse all sorts of things in the garden from ceramic water filter jugs to old pool fence panels: 

It's been really amazing to watch the yard evolve from December 2014 until now - incredible changes aimed at reducing their environmental footprint.  Thanks very muchly to the Dallistons for their welcoming, kindness and preparedness to share the journey.  

Views: 251

Replies to This Discussion

One of our work clients grows the really deep violet coloured violets Gayle - brought up from Sydney years ago. A piece could be obtained if wanted.

There was a lot of development at ANBG (their bookshop is to die for!) but I don't know if they sell plants. They had a number of variegated flowers, so beautiful!

Yes please, Lissa.

Gayle, Do you know what your pH is where the native violets grow? They are the purple and white ones, I presume. There is also a non native which is a rich purple with a larger flower and leaf.  The native violets I have growing don't seem to thrive.  They are in shade under some coleus plants. Something I am doing is not right and I would love to have them creeping around the garden.  Any help would be appreciated.

They are the standard little purple and white ones. I have a ph testing kit and never get around to using it. They do like chook poo and a bit of straw mulch and frequent water just while they establish.
Maybe it's the coleus. I had a coleus in one of my bamboo pots and it nearly killed the bamboo.   

Thanks Gayle I will move them from under the coleus and give them a bit of open ground and some manure.

There is also another native violet - a clumper which produces viable seeds without the flowers opening so it self-seeds everywhere. Viola betonicafolia combined with I think it's the mat rush, Lomandra sp to be the food and shelter plants for one of the more rare local butterflies. I had them all growing at Fairfield but never saw the butterfly.

PS: this violet does display flowers too. There's also a local native member of the geranium family which makes viable seeds without benefit of flowers (which also flowers normally). Grows around Mt Glorious. It's a teeny tiny plant similar to herb robert.

This sounds like the Arrowhead violet, Elaine, it attracts the Australian Fritillary butterfly, and it just disappeared one day after I had it growing for a couple of years. Maybe the possums ate the flowers. 

Hi, I have copious amounts of Herb Robert here at the moment if anyone wants any. I also have quite a lot of Viola hederacea.

Thanks for the offer Dianne, I will try and rescue the little Native violet here first and if that doesn't work I would love any excess viola that your have to spare but later on when we have a driver. Are you  munching on one herb robert leaf every day, to keep you healthy as the late Isabel Shippard used to say.

You know me Christa, of course I am, when I remember.

Thank you Gayle and Ken... It was so good to visit again and see all you've done. Lots of lovely veg growing in and around the natives. I was really aware of the bird life and bees enjoying the garden along with us. You've created a lovely natural environment for all.

RSS

Support Brisbane Local Food

Please support our Brisbane Local Food community.  Donations can be made directly to Andy's paypal account.  These are in Australian dollars.  Donations of $5 and above will be gratefully received and used only to pay for BLF web-hosting.  A donation of $25 will pay to host the site for a calendar month!

Donate to BLF on this link

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

© 2019   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service