Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I have to admit, I did notice coming up the drive that Roger was telling the truth about his soil and amount of rain.  The soil is woeful and rain often scant.  That's what happens when you live on the dark side of town.  

On entering, I was greeted by a VERY festive Christmas in July theme.  Cracking job on the decorating Brenda.  As usual, the table was a bountiful affair.  

The visit itself began with the pit crew undertaking a safety inspection of the official BLF tour bus.  Christa advises there was a lot of buttons in that buggy.  I'm not sure what a "tee off button" does, but Roger advised us that's what they were.  

We traped over crappy soil to see the bee hive near the acerola cherry.  Did I mention they have really bad soil on the south side?

Shortly after that, my gleeful north side gloating bit the dust.  The sly fox had decided to garden upwards.  There were raised beds every where I looked.  And, they were utterly abundant.  The straw bale garden we'd all heard about was all Roger had suggested - and a whole lot more!  Susan and my hearts broke as we stared at headed up broccoli, cabbages with full hearts, kohlrabi in full production.  

After that I was further gutted - I mean delighted - to see raised beds of all descriptions overflowing with even more bounty.

We started moving back towards the front of the house.  What he'd achieved out the back was amazing.  I was trying to think of something, anything, that I grew better.  Andy, the honour of the north side is in tatters mate.  And then, the dash of salt rubbed squarely into my bleeding wounds.  He had more out the front!  The wheelie bins used as giant pots.  Carrots in PVC pipe.  Potatoes in bags.  It was all there, in its glory.  

There was nothing left but to go and eat.  Oh, and judge the tomato contest.  Yep.  The final ignominy  was that not a single tomato from the north side was to be seen.  Oh the shame.  And, that cocky Roger.  I could see why he was so confident.  He had so many tomatoes, he didn't even bother to pick them all.  He and Susan were trading verbal barbs... they were the stalwarts of tomato growing.  The royalty of the nightshade family.   The tasters tasters - it was a multi-panel of picky punters who judged for the juiciest, most flavoursome and the coveted Best In Show Tomato.  Roger started well with a victory for the juiciest tomato.  The expected white wash was beginning.  But wait!  A dark horse flies out from the back of the pack and steals the most flavoursome and the BEST IN SHOW!  Doug Hanning, the man of a million quails, had pulled the rug out from under them all.  I began to giggle.  That'll teach them - until someone reminded me that Doug lived on the damn south side!  

The only serious note to this entire report is to say thanks to Brenda and Roger for hosting.  Damn I missed the garden visits and this was a cracker!  I had a whale of a time.  

Views: 243

Replies to This Discussion

This morning the tomato has vanished, I have a thief. It was not a lightweight tomato either. (not boasting).

Bugger. 

Put this in the original gv group but thought i should reply here.

Just wanted to say thanks Roger and Brenda for the tour and the hat. Ive been involved in many groups over the years( sporting,fishing,spearfishing,hunting,subtropical fruit club) and this is one of the most welcoming and inclusive of all of them. Most groups welcome you and then go back to their little groups. So well done to the group and look forward to hosting my own gv later on the year.

Also great storytelling Andy.

The beanie came at the right time! Keeps me warm amongst a sea of brocolli. 

That's a very impressive greenhouse, Doug.  Did you build it yourself?

Yeah Janet just used up some scaffold pipe I had and dug that into the ground. Then shoved some poly pipe inside and curved it around. Then put a fruitfly net from netpro over the whole thing. I tell you it is like heaven to not have to worry about caterpillers or fruit fly or anything that would steal or eat my veges.

Doug, I know you were modelling your tomato beanie, but I was looking at those tomato plants, they are up to the top, you may have to send them sideways at the top. Everything looks healthy, you can feel proud of your efforts.

Thanks for showing us the wonderful and clever ways of gardening in containers, Brenda and Roger. Truly inspirational. I can only dream on............

Just a question and I hope I am not being rude. Today I heard on the news that Parklands Christian College in Logan is closed becasue of the two selfish young staff failed to declare they had visited Victoria and today, they were tested Covid19 positive. I'd like to know if I should be in self-isolation at home as Park Ridge/Logan area may become a hotspot if these foolish teenagers had infected people in the area. I live with my old mother-in-law so I need to be vigilant. 

Not unless you visited shops etc over there.  We are actually lucky that we are a mature group of people - I haven't been to clubs and pubs for years.  Oh, and it was a very sensible question Janet.  I'll be watching numbers in the next week or so quite carefully.  

Well Janet,

We all hope that the virus from this outbreak will be contained quickly. The government has reacted by listing all of the places that these two stupid people have visited in the last week or so. We have definitely not been to any of these. I would study the maps and if you have not visited these places either, the risk must be extremely low that you or anyone you have been in contact with has been exposed to danger. The advice from the government is to get tested if you have been to any of these places. Obviously if you develop any symptoms, then it would be wise to get a test done for your own peace of mind. Stay safe Janet.

Doug, Very impressive, I would love for you to come over to my place and just use up some scaffold pipe. You should be very proud of your achievements, it looks to be doing a great job of keeping the undesirables out.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service