Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

A bunch of keen gardeners never let a few raindrops spoil their day. In spite of or despite or even to spite the rain, we rolled up to Dave and Helen's and had a great time. Dodging the rain and admiring the great crops flourishing in the garden. A garden built on sand and only 8 years old. Tribute to Dave's hard work and barrow-loads of mulch, mulch, mulch. And now do-it-yourself mulch in the shape of many Vetiver grass plants growing in ordered rows on either side of the paths and surrounding the built-up garden beds.

Truly an overwhelming garden small in size but big in results. A backyard bursting with growth from Pigeon Peas to several cactus varieties - Dragon Fruit on steroids - all enlivened with Helen's bright mosaicked items.

Good to meet up again with old friends all suffering from Garden Visit withdrawal symptoms ;-). Helen demonstrated some aspects of the Mosaic Arts to an interested group.

Later we repaired to the Beach Shak for a tasty lunch and more garden chat.

Thank you Dave and Helen for your hospitality and for sharing your garden and hobbies with us.

Views: 127

Replies to This Discussion

What a great day we had.  We checked out Dave's garden and wandered down the paths, admiring everything we saw on the way.  The delicious bean plants, which we tasted on the way through, were yummy.  Dave graciously gave me some seeds of Doug's favorite bean and some Pea seeds, which will be planted up tomorrow. 

His citrus trees look really healthy and the dragon fruit is growing well everywhere.  The pawpaw trees were loaded with fruit.  Choko plants were healthy, and everything growing high and low.  This is a good example of plants growing on different levels.  We tasted the Kimchi, which surprised me by being the perfect chilli flavour for my taste.   I went home with a little jar of Filmjolk yoghurt to start my supply.

Our BLF friends are so giving, and so sharing with their knowledge and goods.  Elaine has made me happy by sharing her Gardening books, which will keep me busy reading for ages.

Many thanks go to a very talented Helen, for sharing her hints and ways to make our own mosaic items.  So many ideas sprang to mind when we learned a few tricks of the trade.

Thanks for the day, Dave.

thanks Dave and Helen it was wonderful and both of you are an inspiration ! Went to Bunnings on the way home for gardening supplies and mosaic supplies !

Thank You Dave and Helen for a wonderful Garden Visit in the rain. Dave your garden is looking so healthy, we thoroughly enjoyed  our walk in the rain and the taste testing along the way. Dave your Kimchi is one of the nicest I have tasted and your Knäckebröd (Rye Crispbread) was well received by all who ate it, I will be sure to make it now that I know how good it is.

Helen, thank you so much, you are so talented, and you offer such a lovely community service by giving of your time to teach others the Art of Mosaic Picture Making, you are to be commended. I loved Helen's artwork so much that I have commissioned a couple of pieces to be made for the garden.

Thanks Elaine for writing the report on Dave's GV and the photos are great. I will post a few more later when I get them off Graham's phone.

And last but not least, thank you to all our keen members who braved the rain to come along and join us.

Great stuff.  Sorry we missed it. Well, kind of sorry...  Would love to finally get to see it Dave but Spain is pretty easy to cope with. 

Have you seen the Seville orange tree lined streets yet, Andrew. 

1. Seville is our next stop Christa 

Finally seeing apartment blocks growing citrus in Cordoba. I was starting to think I'd never see food growing in town 

Barcelona has more community gardens than any other European city (LINK).

But Barcelona is the only city 'in Spain' that I know of first hand. But with so many great produce markets -- LINK --I'm not sure the motivation is strong for community veg projects.

Awesome array of fresh produce with great cafes to eat at as you shop.

Hi Andy and Roz, Sounds like you are having a wonderful holiday. Remember to ask what they do with all the Oranges off the trees, it is interesting. If you are going to Porto in Portugal go to Graham's Port Cellar and Restaurant Lovely Port and Food.

Cheers Dianne 

The lovely flowers Dianne gave us sit pride of place.

Sorry I missed it guys.  We had just gotten home from holidays and had to unpack :(  Would have much rather been there. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2019   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service