Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Well, what a surprise this garden visit turned out to be!

My first impression as I pulled up was exactly how the event was advertised: a nice, neat, normal little suburban front yard.  However, the instant I left the footpath and could see the reverse side of that front group of bushy material, it became obvious that this was a serious gardener's paradise (right down to the perfect patch of lawn). 

Dianne has managed to create a beautiful series of outdoor garden rooms, each full of its own types of plants, including LOTS of herbs, edible greens and fruit.  

Each room also had a feature of some description, be it a seat, table and chairs, sundial etc. This added a very charming and delightful feel to the entire yard. 

Like all good gardeners, Dianne creates her own compost and has worm farms for that quick fix of lovely worm tea.  

Pots also feature extensively in the yard and by using these Dianne has managed to make use of every square inch of space. 

As usual, the company, food and give away plants were fantastic. 

It was a happy birthday Dianne where she gave all the guests the presents!  I'm still dirty that I missed the pizza....  Although, I did enjoy sampling Margaret's wonderful home made cheeses.  The blue was superb!

Views: 304

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dianne,  I too wanted to say what a wonderful garden you have.  I am still trying to find that balance of "pretty" vs "productive" and you are an inspiration.  I want the balance that you have.  I LOVE your signs and plan to create some in similar vein in the future.  I have taken your beautiful salvia and it is now in a pot and will hopefully strike with a cutting of your mushroom plant- they will be a welcome addition to my garden.  I'm hoping you'll take this as "imitation being the sincerest form of flattery" because you had so many fabulous design elements that I now am adding to my plans for the future of my garden.

Thanks so much for the compliments, I will treasure them. This rusty old chook has a few new plantings of cuttings myself to prepare, then comes finding the place to put them. What a dilemma!!!!! Thanks Guys.... 

A few more pics from the day:

Our youngest member, Damon.

Some incredibly healthy tom plants growing in Dianne's home made compost:

Dianne was very generous with seedlings on the day, lots of different things on offer:

Finished off the morning with a celebratory lunch for Dianne's 60th - mystery veg chicken soup and home made pizza followed by dessert. They're all looking a bit grim here discussing some serious topic, but there was lots of laughter.

What a beautiful photo of Damon, his parents will be proud.

Some of you wanted to know the name of the company I get my Kelp Meal and ECO Products from, it is OCP Organic Crop Protectant.

Here is the spiel on the Kelp, I love it, it go in the bottom of the hole when I plant into pots or the garden along with is a little of Neutrog's Seamungus, then mixed in and a little dirt in between it and the plant. I use the Kelp as a top dressing on top of where I plant seed. I am sure if you didn't want a big 25kg bag you could find others to share if you wanted to give it a go.

Product Description

Acadian kelp meal is a 100% pure Ascophyllum nodosum seaweed meal. Acadian kelp meal can be feed to animals to assist with fertility and has been shown to reduce the impact of stress on animal which can affect feed conversion rates and related production targets.
Acadian kelp meal is used in horticultural soils, potting mixes and as a topdresing amendment in turf. Acadian kelp meal enhances the CEC of growing media and improves carbon content (C:N 16:1) without impacting on infiltration rates or nitrogen levels.

Acadian kelp meal is a 100% pure Ascophyllum nodosum seaweed meal. Acadian kelp meal can be feed to animals to assist with fertility and has been shown to reduce the impact of stress on animal which can affect feed conversion rates and related production targets.
Acadian kelp meal is used in horticultural soils, potting mixes and as a topdresing amendment in turf. Acadian kelp meal enhances the CEC of growing media and improves carbon content (C:N 16:1) without impacting on infiltration rates or nitrogen levels.

I am so sorry I missed your Gv Dianne, was looking forward to it but along came junior footy and the boys game started at 10 and 12 respectively.

On the plus side I finally took possession of my bees for my homemade top bar hive. Next project is a langstroth hive.

Hi Dianne, thank you for hosting the GV, your garden's inspirational.  I was especially impressed with your fruit trees in pots as I don't have much garden space and is keeping a lot of trees in pots.  I'll share some photos I took of your potty trees when I get around to :)

@Lissa, thanks for your photo of Damon ~ Don't want to commet on it since I'll be bias :P

A Mum is allowed to be biased :) He takes after his Dad don't you think.

Yes, he looked exactly like his dad on the day he was born ~ not as much now, but I reckon he still takes after mostly his dad ~

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service