Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Thank you all for coming today :) I hope you all went home with some goodies and had enough to eat and drink.

What a wonderful turn out (really must find the time to count bodies one day, but we expected around 30 adults plus kids). Big thank you to Jan Holley for the demo with her non-electric sauce making machine. If any one wants more information on the name and where to get (bought hers from Amazon) please contact Jan.

I counted up the money from the raffle for the charity, Cup From Above, when everyone left and we had raised $77 towards the total cost of $135 for a load of composted manure for the community garden. Incredible.

I screwed up all the butts and my neighbour drew two tickets - Valerie J21 first prize of 3kg of honey and I added a second prize of a smaller bottle which went to Stacey J38. 

If no one has any objection I might run another raffle at the next GV at Valerie's on 7th to help raise the balance.

Some goodies have been left behind - a very beautiful Degas (?) brollie, a red, black and white glass plate with some asian characters and a plastic storage container (containing some slice). If anyone owns these please let me know so we can get them back to you.

REPORT FROM ELAINE:

A wonderful Garden Visit to start 2015 the right way ... after 4 inches of rain, there's no better introduction to a new gardening year.

Our theme for today was 'Useful Gadgets' and to get us started, Jan Holley brought along her non-electric sauce maker. See Jan's blog about it here.

A nifty machine which turns out a top product for the keen passata, salsa, sauce and jam-makers among us.

Puree goes into the jug, skin and seeds are separated out.

The puree:

and the skin and seeds:

Packed into a standard suburban block, Lissa's food garden is still expanding. 'There is always room for one more fruit tree' ;-) The fence-side of the footpath is now flourishing with Pepino and Aibika with Chokoes framing the side fence.

The front yard is looking like a front yard 'should' - growing food with less and less lawn to mow.

There's Paw Paw - now if you ever wondered what the difference is between a male and a female/bisexual PawPaw/Papaya this is it: a flourishing male tree in all his glory:

(hint: it's all in the stalk)

There's yellow Tamarillos, ripening Pomegranate and the tiniest Black Genoa fig laden with fruit (the one Lissa couldn't resist at Master's the other day):

The back yard with its above-ground beds all netted now with insect-proof netting and sporting two of Darren's above-ground wormeries (aka worm towers).

As always, there's enthusiastic volunteer plants popping up here and there. To say nothing of the weirdest 'Pumpkin' fruit we've seen.

(The new-variety Pumpkin turned into a football)

Our swap table was laden with goodies: seeds, cuttings, plants, fruits ...

The food table was enhanced by a good crop of Jaboticaba for us to try.

Thank you Lissa for your hospitality, I know that we enjoyed ourselves and going on the comments from other BLFers, they had a ball as well.

Views: 437

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Lissa for the exciting visit yesterday.
Thanks Jan for the sauce maker demo... that's impressive.
Thanks Lissa for the cuttings and tastes of foods growing in your successful gardens.
Thanks for the big bunch of bananas, and all that corn ... Don't race out ...just joking, they're still there:)

I loved the top bar hive (and it's window).

Thanks
Rob and Tash

Ah Rob, just what we need, another Andy lol. Looking forward to checking out your garden and animals next weekend with Clayton.

Lissa, your garden is full of inspiration and I have now adopted your philosophy of keeping it simple. Life is so much easier really.

I've never tasted a good tamarillo so I can't wait to taste a home grown one - it's sitting at my dinner table waiting to ripe.

When you have a chance, can you send us the details of contact person for starting a stingless bee hive? 

Morning Janet. I was the same initially - everything had to be pristine and in it's place. I've gradually become more relaxed about what goes on in the food garden. If you get the chance read Jeffrey Hodges book Natural Gardening in Australia. He's a local.

Here's the list of bee contacts I have collected in my blog SEED & FRUIT TREE SITES, TRAINING, GROUPS, BEES AND FOOD SITES. Keep your eyes and ears open as people seem to be selling them around the place these days at markets and such.

BEE SITES

ANBees online group

AUSTRALIAN NATIVE BEE RESEARCH CENTRE

BOB THE BEE MAN Bob Luttrell

BRISBANE BACKYARD BEES

BURNETT BEE KEEPING SUPPLIES Kingaroy - Australia wide service

KIN KIN NATIVE BEES

LIST where to buy ANB's

NATIVE BEES OF AUSTRALIA Museum site

THE NOVICE BEEKEEPER blog spot

SOCIAL INSECTS LAB Sydney Uni

SUGARBAG Tim Heard

ZABEL Russell and Janine

EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS

GREENFINGERS

I'll get in touch Lissa.  The umbrella belongs to My Rozie. 

It's lovely. Was secretly hoping no one claimed it ;) And it's Degas not Monet.

Thanks again, Lissa, from me as well! Lovely to talk to some of the other group members in person, too! (Great bunch, will have to make more of an effort to attend more GV's this year!) :)

Thanks for a lovely visit, Lissa. Yours and others generosity was really inspiring!

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service