Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Blue skies, fluffy white clouds, balmy breezes ... bayside location, great crowd. And a wonderfully packed garden with chooks, bees, flowers and edibles upon edibles!

There are trees edible and ornamental, flowers, in-ground beds, above-ground beds, wicking beds both back and front.

One of our most packed garden visits saw old friends and new friends talking, eating and admiring; sitting in the shade or dodging the chooks.

The swap table and food table were groaning with goodies.

What more could a gardener ask?

Back corner of the yard:

Three lots of bees:

These bees were rescued by Susanne from a water meter box:

Chook-proof garden edge:

Ginger:

Lotus as part of a well-grown water garden:

Rosellas about to be turned into jam (Susanne is a legendary cook!):

Wicking beds:

Swapsies:

Some of the 20 or so BLF members and friends who had a ball:

Brom:

And around the front (no part of this garden is devoid of useful plants!):

Orchid:

Front yard:

Thank you for your hospitality Susanne, you did yourself and BLF proud!

LINK to Dianne's post and pix.

Views: 354

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Susanne for having us - and so many of us! Your backyard is so cool and inviting and I love the new deck.

Another 12 went on to have lunch and continue to conversations at Fish on Flinders.

Had a fantastic morning, many thanks Susanne.  Enjoyed the garden tour and thanks for the cuttings, met members I had not seen before and caught up with many I haven't seen for a couple of months and then onto a lovely lunch at Fish on Flinders  - what a great way to spend a Saturday 

An eye opening garden, Susanne,  everywhere we looked there were food plants.  An great learning curve for most of us. You had the best rosella plants I have seen in a while.  The bees were abundant and the chickens strutted their stuff.  We had a good time chatting and missed out on speaking to some of our new members. Thanks James and Christine for letting us sample your lovely tasting drinks.  Came home with some real treats, especially the big pawpaw fruit that I had trouble sneaking out with, thanks to everyone.

Thanks Susanne for hosting a real nice Saturday morning get together in such a lovely green environment full of awesome plants. I stood still for a while just looking at the amazing rosella. I enjoyed meeting your chooks and bees to. Thanks everyone for lovely chats and swaps ... Dianne, I distracted myself enough to forget about the water celery. 

Lissa, Thank you for being BLF's garden visit co-ordinator for such a long time (along with all the other BLF stuff).

Dianne, Thanks for taking up the task.

Thanks again Susanne, your gardens are food fantastic.

Thank you Rob. I am very grateful that someone of Dianne's caliber has stepped up to take over the GV group. I'm looking forward to her time in the role and what she brings to it.

Yes a nice and very well attended GV. Even though Susanne's garden is on a fairly standard suburban block of land I was amazed what she has fitted into it and there was still plenty of space for a lawn and pathways. A good example what can be done.

And I forgot to thank Susanne for letting me dig up part of her garden in order to collect some tubers from several different plants. I hope to propagate these and in turn share them with other members. Thanks Susanne.

Christine and I had a great morning, and thanks everyone for the many conversations. Christine was impressed with all the bees in your suburban backyard and I was blown away by your Lisbon lemons.

What a lovely morning, I found out that my tree that I thought (before it fruited) was Sterculia quadrifida commonly known as the Peanut tree is an Eugenia reinwardtiana or Australian Beach Cherry, the fruit is very nice.
Thank-you to whoever left the orange turmeric, my yellow can now be left to flower, the orange I'll plant in another spot and see If I like its flavour better.
Best Saturday of April! Thanks all for the wonderful day!! Susanne your garden is wonderful, so many hidden treasures :) Anne your soft shortbread/pomelo cake is delicious, melt in your mouth- perfect w a cuppa after some gardening! Thanks to whoever brought the piney tops; I had been looking to extend my piney border. I can't wait til my garden is a little bit older and I can share its abundance with you all at a GV in the future :)

What a crackin' visit!  Great to see so many new members attend.  Great company.  Great food.  Wonderful conversations.  Terrific garden to visit.  What a tough gig.    

Thanks Susanne for a lovely morning in a beautiful setting.So many productive and beautiful plants and animals.

RSS

Fresh Local Provisions: Fresh Food, Local and Online

About this site

Welcome to Brisbane Local Food (BLF)!

This site was created by Scarlett Patrick, to build capacity in the Brisbane  community for growing, buying, and living sustainably. Six years on, BLF is an important hub to promote, discuss, share and learn about local food growing, production, gardens, services and activities happening in our part of the world.

This site exists for you - make the most if it!

BLF is motivated by passion, not profit. We thank all volunteers and members who make this an active and inspiring space to be, as well as those individuals, organisations and groups working to make the future greener.

What is local?
The closer the better - but regional and global activities are important too.

Why local?
To reduce food miles, increase food freshness & security, improve social outcomes and reduce the unused outputs of our living environments - like stormwater and green waste.

Brisbane is a sub-tropical city in Queensland, Australia.

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

More Google ads

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service