Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Beautiful garden, beautiful day, beautiful people! Thank you Susan for opening your garden to us, very inspiring what you can cram in there on a average suburban block.

It was a pleasure visiting Susan's garden again after only a couple of months to see the transition from winter to Spring - my by gosh, could you see the difference! The flowers were exploding with colour and the baby rhubarb was growing lusciously and the Pecan had lovely new foliage. 

As a first time reporter, I grossly underestimated the need to take written notes! I thought I would remember most things, but testament to how packed in Susan's garden was.. I am lost after the first photo! Anyway, no doubt people can help out with species types etc in the comments. 

Back yard, near balcony: Packed in Mango, pineapple sage, strawberries, spring onions near the kitchen so kids can pick.

Down the side, from the backyard: Mulberry (big exercise in self-discipline to not pinch all the juicy ones off!), strawberries in hanging planters (even bigger exertion. Susan intentionally left the plump juicy red ones on for the GV... Temptation Red, like Dianne and Graham's new car haha). Also down the side, raspberries, cherry (! 1 set??) and... lots of other things. You can also see Custard Apple (hopefully fruit for first time this year?), to the right, the berry patch (blueberry, alpine strawberries)

Susan with hanging strawberries (watered once a week, twice in summer)

The bramble under the Custard apple: Volunteer cherry toms, blueberries, alpine strawberries and sweet peas

Asparagus and mac nuts

Spring splendour in the backyard: Roses, hollyhocks and salvia galore!

Fingers crossed: Black sapote!

Backyard: Various citrus including Cumquat (never pruned, always prolific), mandarins and oranges)

Backyard (still!): Grapes 

The back paddock: Wicking success! Carrots galore

Back paddock: Climbing beans (jack? and purple something?)

Beehive! Susan also explained how she re-strings and also harvests the honey. Yum!

LYCHEE!!!

FRONT YARD (yes it continues!!): Lemons :)

Two pics above are the same tree - stonefruit multi-graft from Fruit Salad Trees. And bottom pic also shows lush Rhubarb!

Tropical Apple blossom <3
Apples from the Apple multi-graft

Happy herbs in wicking beds

Passionfruit flavoured chooks

BANANA!!

The Annexe: Susan's latest verging with Jap, potkin and (squash) and cosmos

Annnd the happy hippes on the verge with roses, kaffir lime, lemon tree, saba nut, mulberry and panama berry.

Ouff! like I said, a lot going on :)

Food! Dianne's cheese... mmm!!!

My take-home learnings:
- Let sweet potatoes "Cure" a few weeks in the sun to increase sweetness (I was eating straight after harvesting and was getting a floury starch effect

- Carrots love wicking beds with lots of sand

- Flowers make gardens look happy

- Twist and snap off Rhubarb and chard stems, not cut (thought I am cautious of this because my snaps are never clean cut and I feel like I'm massacring the poor plant as the threads rip up the plant. 

- Thin out zucchini leaves to reduce powdery mildew

Views: 178

Replies to This Discussion

In between the lawns, the concrete and the huge eucalyptus, oasis is really the right word :)

Thanks so much Sophie, It's nice to see it from someone else's eyes.  I have a lot of "firsts" hopefully happening this year.  BTW everyone, went out to have a closer look at the black sapote fruit and there seems to be DOZENS of small flower buds developing -  I might get more than the one fruit this year :)  Also, the little persimmon beside it has a flower bud on it too.  Can I just say thank-you for all the lovely presents.  Here is my little haul from the garden visit.  Fran said a huge "thank you" for the cheeses Dianne -> he ate most of them last night.  We haven't yet cracked the wine James, that will be for next weekend and I took your quail eggs in to work today Darren to show everyone.

Thanks Susan and nice haul - wine AND cheese! Dianne, what was the name of those delighful pink pompom flowers in the arrangement? Ta

Sophie, these are lovely Armeria, When they stop flowering, I will divide some for you. 

Armeria juniperifolia

It has taller stems than our other cultivars with wider leaves; a neat evergreen plant for the border or cottage garden. The long stems make it suitable for floral work.

Beautiful! Thank you, would love some :)

Great report Sophie!

Yes another really good garden visit. I am amazed at how much you can fit into an average suburban block. I envy your enthusiasm and energy Susan. Your bananas are something else! I think I might just give up growing them after seeing yours. They occupy only a few square metres yet are incredibly productive. You will have an absolute food forest when all of your small trees get a couple of years growth. What will you do with all the fruit? Thanks again.

Another great day ,garden ,company,food and good old garden chit chat.Thanks Sue for showing & sharing your garden of eden with us.I hope you get that problem sorted Mary anne and colin,must have been a real deadener after having such a nice day out.

Thank-you Sophie for the wonderful report on Susan's masterpiece of a fruitful garden. Can't be at everything worse luck :( but can journey vicariously through the garden reading the report and everyones comments :)

Sorry to hear of your watery mess Mary-Ann, hopefully you will be looked after adequately by insurance and warranties.

Christine and I had a lovely relaxing day, Susan, it was a good break from harvesting and juicing mulberries, but we spent Monday, picking 12 two liter containers, so I juiced 7 and gave away 3   to our appreciative neighbors. I started drying the rest, will have to put them out again tomorrow.  Really feel for Mary Ane and Collin, hope all is fixed before too long.  Thanks again for the day Susan, we were really knocked out by your endeavors.

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service