Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

This bright and beautiful Sunday morning saw 7-8 BLFers join the Elaines in their attractive and  productive garden in Deception Bay.

After a delicious morning tea featuring the promised vanilla slice with passionfruit icing made by Dianne we wandered around the garden visiting bed after bed of thriving plants.

Elaine described her process for building the wicking beds as creating a base of about 15cms of inexpensive potting mix in a container with a weep hole drilled into the side of the container at about that height. Above that she layers compost (bought or made) more potting mix, moistened coir both coarse and light, and manure. Some containers have been made by using a garden edging inside which black plastic has been placed, with a few slits to allow for drainage of excess water.  Most of the wicking beds have been planted up with a mix of annual and perennial edible plants, ground covers and fruit trees.

As we walked around, gardening information and advice was shared on subjects like mound gardening, uses for weeds, how to prune fruit trees, the benefits of shading (or not) certain plants etc.

I think everyone left with seeds or cuttings, including more of Elaine’s bountiful comfrey, and gorgeous pumpkin which had been shared by one of the ladies who joined the GV on Friday.

In the short time I have known her, Elaine (in response to my various gardening questions) has exhorted me several times to ‘give it a go and see what happens.’ This is clearly the way the Elaines live and garden - and what’s ‘happened’ is the creation of a lovely, productive and edible garden that is a pleasure to visit.

Views: 171

Replies to This Discussion

Totally our pleasure, Susan! Your Pumpkin has been divvied up and the other plants have found new homes. 

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service