Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Dave has a fascinating garden in that he has learned by trial and error how to grow a productive food garden in the very sandy soil of Beachmere. Something not to be under rated.

Everywhere you look the garden is lush with ground and aerial plants of all sorts.

Unfortunately my camera batteries expired after 5 photos (I really did mean to grab some spares!). If anyone has more photos please send them to me and I will include them in this report.

Dave has recently focused on mounding and olla pots with great success. See his BLOGS for more information about how Dave goes about using these two methods so successfully.

Once again a really good roll up of members - over 20. Thank you to Dave for providing tea and coffee and to everyone who brought along food, drink and heaps of items for the share table.

I just love to look around and see all the animated conversations going on among members about subjects dear to our hearts. Family just don't understand!

Dianne (Caswell) provided an update of information about the trip to Daleys Fruit Nursery she is planning. Stay tuned for an Events listing outlining details and date.

Entrance to the growing area in Dave's backyard. Like walking into the magic garden.

Dave's wife Helen is a very talented mosaic artist and the yard is full of her decorative input.

This is the one and only shot of got off of plantings before the camera died.

Pigeon Pea, Yacon, Yams, Serpentine Gourd, Choko, Passionfruit, Dog Bane (used for mulch), Arrowroot, Brazilian, Surinam and Okinawa Spinach, Moringa, Jeruselum Artichoke just some of the plants growing.

You can make out the sub ground Olla pots by their economical second hand plate covers. Dave fills the Olla pots every four days or so with the hose.

Some of the happy attendees wending their way through the garden.

Thank you to everyone who attended. Ten of us went on to have another lovely chat over lunch at the Beach Shak on the waterfront where the sea breeze was appreciated.

Views: 316

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry to have missed it - new job is keeping me very busy at the moment.  Photo's look amazing.  Well done Dave.

Thanks so much for the support. Makes me feel less eccentric.

Anyone who missed out is welcome to come visit when they're about the neighborhood. 

Phone 07 33331805.

I'm home most days. 

You're worried about being eccentric? I'd love to be eccentric!

Thanks for the offer Dave
Btw
I kept the phone number of the cow manure folk from last time you had an open garden.
I rang them a few weeks ago to say I was coming up again and to save me some bags of cow pats.
Not pats this time of year as the dung beetle chomps them up over summer so the composting has started.
I swapped some honey for them :)

How good is that?!

Yep another great visit Dave nice to have caught up with you and the gang.My wife was also taught how to swim down the beach later by young Lizzy lol while I chatted with Mark..Im sure great day had by all.

You eccentric Dave???? Many say I am so Baahhhhhhhhhhhhh, Humbug????????????? aren't most gardener's eccentric, especially those who garden by the Moon.............

Yeah... that garden by the moon thing is a bit weird. Next you'll be telling me that you're one of those freaks who makes their own cheese!

Takes one to know one.

Can't wait for the cooler weather to come on to make cheese.

I'm doing a few batches in the next couple of days. Better hot than cold Dianne. 

Your only eccentric if you howl lol funny that deb wont let me outside on a full moon

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service