Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

There has been some recent discussion about the native Yam Daisy and it looks very interesting as an easily grown native food.

Seed can be bought from HERBALISTICS locally at Bli Bli.

Views: 1619

Replies to This Discussion

Shade is OK but it doesn't cool the air much. Or that's been my observation. The actual shadecloth is something I wonder how we ever did without ;-) but unless we've got plenty of trees giving off their moisture, the shaded area's air is just about as hot as the air outside. All we do is remove the direct sun but don't modify the climate enough to grow cool-sensitive plants like Lettuces.

Hi Dave

Sorry to take so long to reply but I have been quite sick with the flue since the 24th!

We have stopped trying to collect Yam Daisy seed at the moment because all the plants that we planted in our SPA did not last more than a year or two and we are not willing to collect seed from our bush unless there is a bumper year and we have not had one of these for a while now.

Sorry we cannot help.

Best Wishes

Libby and Steve

Libby Woodward and Steve Syer

Growers of high quality native seed

50 Mains Road

Denver VIC 3461

0438 507 898

http://www.victoriannativeseed.com.au/

I've just been reading Dark Emu, the book about Aboriginal peoples farming techniques among other things, and have revisited the idea of growing some of these Yam Daisies. They sound delicious.

Anyone else given them a go and had success?

From memory it's a bit hot up here for them to do well but I'd be interested to see if anyone gave it a go in winter.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

VETIVER COMMUNITY PROJECT

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

The Vetiver Community Project is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service